Cob Chicken and Goat Houses?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by CluckyJay, Dec 7, 2011.

1. CluckyJay

CluckyJay Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Crossville, Tennessee
    I am going to try my hand at using cob to build a chicken and goat barn next year. Anyone done this yet? I figure if it works out, I will build all of our livestock buildings with it. Maybe a small house, too.

http://weblife.org/cob/pdf/cob_builders_handbook.pdf

Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  2. beach livin'

beach livin' Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2011
    Manteo
    sounds interesting, but i wouldnt doubt that the counties have regulations on that also [​IMG]

3. CluckyJay

Feb 23, 2011
    Crossville, Tennessee
    Were pretty good here--as long as it is just a barn-type building. I think were allowed cob houses, they just have to pass inspection. I really don't know though. The barn shouldn't be a problem here though.

4. clayhill

clayhill Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2008
    Lee County, Arkansas
    I did think about cob house, though I was going to use wood, but decided it was too labor intensive for me. Love the look though, be sure to post some photos once you finish.

5. CluckyJay

Feb 23, 2011
    Crossville, Tennessee
    Lord willing and we get it done, I am going to write a Hub about it. It'll be under the My Writing bit in my signature. It'll be a while though hehhe.

6. D3invertebrates

D3invertebrates Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2011
    Brookshire, TX
    Thx for the pdf, very interesting. Ive thought about this for awhile and like the idea and look of cob style buildings. I would do it a little differently though using stucco as the final layer, never seen or read of anyone doing it before, but it kinda makes sense right? I have built a few structures but nothing complete my interest wander but one day Id like to build a small house. The last thing I was looking into was a reciprocal roof, I really like how it looks and works so I had to build one. I built this little chicken coop, it works at keeping chicken in but I dont trust it keeping predators out so I dont really use it at least not at this point, really its just a product of my boredom at this point [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. CluckyJay

Feb 23, 2011
    Crossville, Tennessee
    Yea, stucco would look nice. That is a really cute coop. If you could fill the open areas with wire and stucco or something and leave the wood exposed, that would look so cool. Might eventually rot but it would be awesome-looking.

8. D3invertebrates

D3invertebrates Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2011
    Brookshire, TX
    I dont only think stucco would look nice but I would think it would hold up better. I think I would probly go with something like wattle and dab before I used wire as a reinforcement if only cause its doesnt cost anything. It will definitely rot, if you take the bark off the wood will last longer though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by