cobs in my scratch

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Big dreams, Sep 30, 2009.

1. Big dreams

Big dreams Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Ok, I have my scratch in a garbage can in the storage area of my coops. Now it seems to have some kind of bug in it, it has cob webs(?) in it, you know like little bits of it all stuck together but not hard, its like loose webs. I can still feed it to the chickens yes? Maybe as quickly as possible. ??

2. G Wiz Ranch

G Wiz Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    Lompoc, CA
    Quote:I don't know what bug you have, but my chickens eat all the bugs they want when they free range, I would be more worried that you may have mold spores growing. We have a mold around here (not in the feed) that starts out looking like a small spider web.

If you are sure it is a bug, sprinkle a little Food Grade DE in the feed. It probably has some in it already from the mill.

3. antlers

antlers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2008
    East Cent Minnesota
    Unless you are SEEING the bug I suspect your scratch got moisture and you are seeing filiments of mold on the surface.

4. Big dreams

Mar 5, 2009
    I will look closer but it looks just like some pepper seeds I had way way to long in the pantry .

5. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Grain moths make those cobweb thingys when they get into my rice.

I would feed it to my chickens if I was sure it was just bugs, not mold.

6. Mojo Chick'n

Mojo Chick'n Empress of Chickenville

The title of your thread sounds dirty [​IMG]

or maybe I've just lived with three teenage sons for too long.

to stay on topic, though - bugs ok, mold bad [​IMG]
    The moths are about the size of a grain of rice. (long grain, [​IMG] )

eta - yep, must be the teenagers - my youngest (18) came in so I showed him the thread title, he did the "beavis and butthead" laugh....

meri

Last edited: Oct 1, 2009
  7. Big dreams

Mar 5, 2009
    Mojo Chick'n I will try to pay closer attention to my titles... [​IMG] It never crossed my mind, but my son has been out of the house for a few years. [​IMG] but, back on topic, will chickens really eat moldy stuff? I just have never noticed or worried to much about what they get into as they go everywhere (under the plum tree with bad plums on the ground) and have always been healthy. I guess I would think they would turn their beaks up to moldy scratch.

8. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

[​IMG]
    Took me a while to catch the issue with the title..... Does that mean I'm getting old?

9. Mojo Chick'n

Mojo Chick'n Empress of Chickenville

Quote:[​IMG] I wasn't offended I thought it was rather funny.

meri

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by