Cocci and GapeWorms

Melky

Spring has sprung!
5 Years
Jul 23, 2018
Ok Guys just need to know from the chicken poop and disease experts. Vetting but want to know if anyone has had this and survived and should I change management? OK Received birds with bloody brown diarrhea as started pullets from local farmer in next state over on day 1-2 days here Vetted in first 48 hrs and ran no tests sent home on anti-inflammatories x3 days. Started Corid on my own on max dose for treatment x 1 week, did 21 day prevention, and another 7 days of Corid. Also treated with panacur x3 days followed by febendazole x7 days a week apart. Now on 2 weeks of febendazole first 3 days. Gave probiotics and electrolytes after first 2 sets of dewormer.First chicken died in first week RIR and have two left. Have small grey/black stool with white caps in coop. Saw Raven pass yellow foamy mustard stool tonight and sounds gurgly a little bit consistent with gapeworm. Cant tell Remy's stool. Treating together. Not sure if getting better. Not shaking heads much or gaping and walking around. Eating and drinking every day all of feed. Any thoughts please?

Ok Guys just need to know from the chicken poop and disease experts. Vetting but want to know if anyone has had this and survived and should I change management? OK Received birds with bloody brown diarrhea as started pullets from local farmer in next state over on day 1-2 days here Vetted in first 48 hrs and ran no tests sent home on anti-inflammatories x3 days. Started Corid on my own on max dose for treatment x 1 week, did 21 day prevention, and another 7 days of Corid. Also treated with panacur x3 days followed by febendazole x7 days a week apart. Now on 2 weeks of febendazole first 3 days. Gave probiotics and electrolytes after first 2 sets of dewormer.First chicken died in first week RIR and have two left. Have small grey/black stool with white caps in coop. Saw Raven pass yellow foamy mustard stool tonight and sounds gurgly a little bit consistent with gapeworm. Cant tell Remy's stool. Treating together. Not sure if getting better. Not shaking heads much or gaping and walking around. Eating and drinking every day all of feed. Any thoughts please?
No tests?
How long has this been...a month or more?
Still any bloody poop?

Seeking out your vet for help again is usually your best option.

Panacur is Fenbendazole. What dosing of Fenbendazole are you giving?

Treating roundworms with Fenbendazole - dose is 0.23ml per pound of weight given orally once, then repeat in 10 days.

Treating other types of worms with Fenbendazole - dose is 0.23ml per pound of weight given orally for 5 days in a row.

Of course, I am not a vet. Having bloody stool in POL birds - if they were all on the same ground for a good period of time - I would look at enteritis too. Just my thoughts on that.
Without a necropsy/testing - it's going to be hard to nail down what's going on.

Yellow mustard stool - sounds like some type of infection. Could be something like E. Coli.
Vetting again this time with testing would be a good idea.

It sounds like you got sick birds to me. Gapeworm is very rare. Regular worms can be treated easily with the Panacur. The gurgling sounds like a respiratory disease. You can’t get rid of those as long as the birds are present in the flock. Any new birds get the disease. Enteritis may be a problem, since adult birds should not be dealing with coccidiosis, unless it has never been treated as chicks. I would be tempted to put the remaining birds down. Clean your facilities, wait a couple of weeks, and then get some healthy chicks from a feed store or hatchery, and start over. Some people do not take care of their birds, and then to sell someone sick birds is really awful. There is always a risk getting birds from another person—you don’t know what they have been exposed to.

Are these new pullets the only birds you have? Can you get any fecal testing, including a gram stain which can look for eneteritis? If you lose any more, I would definitely get a necropsy by the state lab to identify the problems. I don’t bring birds into my flock from other people any more, only one time early on. I keep a closed flock until all of my birds are gone, when I will buy new chicks from a hatchery. Other people sometimes are not aware about how respiratory diseases make the whole flock carriers for life.

Thanks guys for answering. So Got them at 20-24 weeks back in August and about 7 months here. So worried they may not make it because of diagnosis. Vet refused abx on last fecal after two requests so they do not think needed. No bloody streaked stools or runny brown. I have not seen another yellow stool like last but knew Ro had them before death. Tractor supply local clinics on weekend are closed due to COVID 19. Birds still eating and drinking ok. Didn't lay for a couple of days and throwing out eggs but no sign of egg bound on exam. Febendazole is 50mg/kg .5g per day x 2 weeks currently and on day 5 (using pellets in feed). Trying to find another vet local as vet in another state and on strict COVID 19 precautions. Likely have to wait till during the week as nothing open this weekend. Still eating drinking and active. Have kept under strict quarantine since received and only two birds in the coop. I keep a closed flock as well. On the panacur do you know what mg/kg that dose of .23ml is?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom