Cocci is LETHAL...DO NOT take it lightly...

Quote:
thumbsup.gif

They probably won't get it, then. I haven't heard about chicks getting cocci after being vaccinated, at least that I recall, but I know they sure get it even being on medicated feed, so guess it's possible.

Well I will hope for the best and keep my fingers and toes crossed that the vaccine is effective. BYC will be the first to know if it doesn't. Thanks for the reply.

Quote:
NOTHING is "that big of a deal" when you know about it. Hence, this post.
AND it IS a big deal when you lose 3 babies because you DIDN'T know about it. But, if you don't know, one, two, ten, twenty or more may be lost.

Little Miss is gone. Yesterday afternoon. I could not believe how long it took to take her when the others went so fast.

Her intestines were probably damaged, but not so much that it took her quickly as the others. I'm sorry.

When I said:
Cocci is really not that big of a deal, IF you know about the signs and watch for them

I meant that I want everyone who is even thinking about raising chicks to read up on the possible issues with them early on so they aren't blindsided. It's rough to have that happen, I realize. And once they have cocci, by the time someone can research, it may be too late for some, sadly. You are right, it can be lethal and some chicks succumb faster than others.

It's easy to treat is caught early enough, yes, but then again, some strains are more ruthless than others, so don't beat yourself up over it, okay?
hugs.gif

Cyn, can I ask you a question? Is there any proof that spreading lime on the ground will reduce coccidia? Have you ever heard of such a thing? The white powdered lime, not the granulated stuff.

Agreed. I am not trying to make everyone who doesn't research things before jumping in with two feet feel bad and I do realize that not everything is completely defined in black and white to everyone's understanding, however too many people do NO research on "pets" before just going and getting them. This happens for many things in life. Pets, children, cars, houses, schools, etc. I happen to take pets very seriously because I was a vet tech for many years before having children. I know how dangerous coccidiosis is in cats and dogs and because of that I knew I needed to make sure I had all the facts straight when it came to the chickens. The problem I had was that even though I had them vaccinated and read not to feed medicated feed because it would negate the vaccine, I still have found no information regarding the vaccine and how effective it is, how long it lasts, etc. I did months of research before ordering ours and I still have questions all the time. Some of the questions I have are "live and learn" but the gray areas are what drive me crazy, much more of a "want to know the black and white answers" type of girl.
th.gif

Quote:
I'm not aware of a study off hand, but we know that heavily liming the ground changes the pH of it entirely. Many chicken folks who have done this for many, many years have always advised liming the ground (hydrated lime or agricultural, but hydrated is much stronger) to kill all sorts of nasties in between groups of chickens, including reducing the oocysts in the soil. Liming and tilling it under, then allowing it to be "rained in" several times so it doesn't burn the feet, is what they advise.

Quote:
I'm not aware of a study off hand, but we know that heavily liming the ground changes the pH of it entirely. Many chicken folks who have done this for many, many years have always advised liming the ground (hydrated lime or agricultural, but hydrated is much stronger) to kill all sorts of nasties in between groups of chickens, including reducing the oocysts in the soil. Liming and tilling it under, then allowing it to be "rained in" several times so it doesn't burn the feet, is what they advise.

Thanks!

Inflection is so lost in internet thread posts.

I spent months researching raising chickens before I "jumped in" because I AM the "I'm gonna do this right" kind of girl. Much, much more research than I did before I had my children. I haven't lost any children. And pets only by natural causes.

It was incredibly sad for me to lose those baby Buffs. I blame myself every waking moment.

I STILL don't know all dog and cat sicknesses...even though I have had them all my life. A couple of months ago my red dobe got something called *cherry eye*. I rushed her to the vet because I thought she had seriously injured herself and would be blind. They gave me some ointment for infection and said that if it didn't go away, she would need a one thousand dollar surgery. Surgery, bad. $1000, bad.

What they failed to tell me is that a little massaging a few times a day would push that *cherry* right back into it's place and she would be fine. And I did. And she was/is. I FOUND THAT OUT ON-LINE. ZERO cost, just lots of love.

In this small town there are not a lot of choices. I am now even questioning the vaccines I pay for my dogs and cats. Especially now that they (the vet's office) couldn't even answer the simplest question about dosing Corid for my sick chicks. I came HERE for the answers.

I need to grow some skin I think.

Back
Top Bottom