Cocci is what I thought the problem was, not sure now.

Rraggs

In the Brooder
Aug 1, 2017
Starke County, IN
We've got 21 chickens. 6 adults, 3 at 16 weeks, 1 at 15 weeks and 11 at 14 weeks.

The adults seem healthy, exception of one but I'm pretty sure she's just molting not so gracefully.

Most chicks seem healthy except 2 as of this morning. They are about 15 weeks old. I lost one little girl about 2 weeks ago. Lethargic one day and just skin and bone, dead the next morning. I thought I must have overlooked her somehow, still feel horrible but trying to learn from mistakes.

Last Monday one of my boys, a rooster chick I have a real soft spot for, started getting off-balance and puffing up, laying around, eyes closed. I got my chicken bible out (this site) and determined he had all the symptoms of cocci except bloody stools. Next day, bloody stools. Started Corid on all.

5 days of Corid and we're on our 2nd day of probiotics.

Now another one seems to be "off balance". They look drunk. Mojo (1st sick guy) looks like he wants to do more but his body is not cooperating.

He eats and seems to almost "gag" on his food and has to work it down opening and closing his beak, raising and moving his head around, and making some clicking noises. His appetite is still very good.

I'm just not sure where to go from here.

Hi, welcome to BYC! :frow

Sorry you are having trouble. :(

Coccidiosis was probably correct on your first round. Please note that it can be deadly without anyone having bloody poos as that is only ONE symptom and not all will present the same.

Sounds like you might be dealing with Marek's now. Or maybe a one two punch with the coccidia and the Marek's working together. :barnie

Are you able to post any pics or video? What do you feed including treats and supplements? Where did your chicks come from and were they vaccinated against Marek's? Are they all the same breed?

Many things can look like Marek's including nutrient deficit. Here is the most accurate information I have seen on the subject...
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq.66077/

Putting your location in your profile can help others make better suggestions at a glance. Only way to know for sure what you are dealing with is refrigerate and send one in for necropsy if you have another pass. Links to help with that...
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/how-to-send-a-bird-for-a-necropsy-pictures.799747/

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/nahln/downloads/all_nahln_lab_list.pdf

Hope everyone recovers quickly! :fl

I agree with @EggSighted4Life that the chick symptoms might indicate Marek's. But there are other causes that should be investigated.

Neuro toxins can cause balance problems and trouble walking. Moldy or contaminated feed or rotting veggies, and petroleum distillates can also be responsible. These include insecticides and machinery sitting around leaking fluids onto the soil where chickens pick up grit and eat grass.

It's important to identify these sources if you are going to try to treat.

How long have you had them?
Can you take a stool sample to your vet for testing?
What are you feeding them, including treats?

The one that is gagging - have you checked to see if the crop is empty in the morning before he eats/drinks?

You treated all of them with Corid - what dosage?

It's hard to know with chickens sometimes, it can be a number of things from Coccidiosis to Marek's or something in between.
Photos of chickens, poop and housing may help as well.

To try to answer some questions:

the older 6 were bought last year from TSC, 3 were bought this summer from a local pet store, the guy who is sick was hatched in an incubator and the other 11 were hatched in the coop by a broody hen. That was beginning of July.

We've gone from 7 to 21 and space is an issue at this point because the little coop they were brooded in has been outgrown. I'm wanting to transition them to the big coop but the original flock doesn't want to share.

They are all eating medicated chick feed, oyster shells separately offered and free ranging for the most part.
Scraps are also fed and treats include raisins, blueberries, oats, pumpkin, they get into cat food once in a while.

Corid was 20% powder mixed 1.5 tsp per gallon of water and only offered that to drink for 5 days.

I've taken a video or the chick in question but can't upload it, too big.
I've searched and am still unsure of the best way to get him B1.

21 chickens. 6 adults, 3 at 16 weeks, 1 at 15 weeks and 11 at 14 weeks.
15 weeks old. I lost one little girl about 2 weeks ago. Lethargic one day and just skin and bone, dead the next morning.
one of my boys, a rooster chick I have a real soft spot for, started getting off-balance and puffing up, laying around, eyes closed. I got my chicken bible out (this site) and determined he had all the symptoms of cocci except bloody stools. Next day, bloody stools. Started Corid on all.
Now another one seems to be "off balance". They look drunk. Mojo (1st sick guy) looks like he wants to do more but his body is not cooperating.
He eats and seems to almost "gag" on his food and has to work it down opening and closing his beak, raising and moving his head around, and making some clicking noises. His appetite is still very good.
We've gone from 7 to 21 and space is an issue at this point because the little coop they were brooded in has been outgrown. I'm wanting to transition them to the big coop but the original flock doesn't want to share.
They are all eating medicated chick feed, oyster shells separately offered and free ranging for the most part.
Scraps are also fed and treats include raisins, blueberries, oats, pumpkin, they get into cat food once in a while.

A video will be most helpful.
Even if they free range for the most part, having space issues can be stressful. Integrating youngsters with adults can require a bit of patience. If they all get along fairly well, you can try putting the young ones in the big coop at night when the adults have gone to roost. Alternatively, let out the adults during the day and lock the youngsters in the big coop/run so they can explore without being harassed.
Depending on how everything is set-up, watch to see if the young ones are getting enough to eat and are not getting chased away from food.

Still need to figure this one out ---- so I would check him first thing in the morning.
The one that is gagging - have you checked to see if the crop is empty in the morning before he eats/drinks?

A video will be most helpful.
Even if they free range for the most part, having space issues can be stressful. Integrating youngsters with adults can require a bit of patience. If they all get along fairly well, you can try putting the young ones in the big coop at night when the adults have gone to roost. Alternatively, let out the adults during the day and lock the youngsters in the big coop/run so they can explore without being harassed.
Depending on how everything is set-up, watch to see if the young ones are getting enough to eat and are not getting chased away from food.

Still need to figure this one out ---- so I would check him first thing in the morning.

Crop appeared to be empty this morning.

Good morning. Sorry you’re dealing with this. You have received good advice so far, and I do believe Merek’s is a possibility. However, are you aware that a certain vitamin counteract the affects of the Corid? Were they on any vitamins during Corid treatment? I think it’s thiamin. If so, I wonder if they need a second round?

Back
Top Bottom