Cocci-I've got it and**1 more ?**

chicksinthemachine

Songster
11 Years
Jul 8, 2008
Henley,MO
what do I need to get, where and about how much? Can anyone help me please? Haven't lost any yet and need to act fast they are pooping blood.

Last edited:
Best thing to get is Corid/Amprolium. OR Sulmet, which usually knocks it out in a couple of days (though they take it about a week). Sulmet may continue the intestinal bleeding, so it's best, I've been advised, to use Corid first. It's a liquid in a bottle 9.6% concentration and you use 10 cc in a gallon of water.

Hello! I use Sulmet. It clears things pretty quickly, but whatever you choose to use, you'll want to act quickly as Cocci will kill very quickly. Good luck and keep us posted!
wink.png

Okay started the amprol yesterday and now I have a ? about the eggs. I know we can't eat the eggs or the meat but can the chickens have the eggs or will that be reintroducing the bacteria in them? Or can I feed them to our dogs? I just hate to see them go to waste for 21 days but I will of course if no one can eat them.

Oh the vet said not to, but cool I really didn't want them to go to waste. Also after treatment do I need to give them something else, like vitamins or yogurt(for the active culture) to put their normal bacteria back in their system?

Last edited:
You dont need to change their feed. If you give them Sulmet, they probably could use some probiotics. It's good for them to have anyway. I regularly give mine plain yogurt.
Definitely, you can still eat the eggs. Should not be an issue at all. If you'd rather not, no problem, but Amprolium isn't an antibiotic and wont hurt a thing.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom