cocci meds

freedomgirl

In the Brooder
9 Years
Aug 30, 2010
Is the 9.6% corid stronger than the 20% amprol powder. Does anyone know the dose per gallon for each

The dosage for 9.6% Corid (amprolium) is on the label.

16 oz per 100 gallons of water. That is .16 oz per gallon.

1 oz = 30cc .16 oz = 4.80 cc (I make it 5 cc).
5cc = 5ml = 1 teaspoon .... all the same.

Use 5 cc per gallon of water for 5 days for "treatment" of cocci.

For "prevention" the instructions say to use 1/2 that amount (use 1/2 teaspoon per gallon), but use it for 21 days.

Hello,,, I'm sure there is information here somewhere on this, but... just so nervous. Just purchased a blue Jersey Giant Rooster; 4.5 months old. He came from Florida; took 2 days to get here. I'm sure it's very stressfull, I will probably not do a nother big bird this way again. I noticed his poop a little runny today; he arrived Thursday, today is Sunday. I finally too him out of the barn today, been walking better (was a little cramped I believe from that darn box). He was stretching, I think acts better; but still notice him shaking just a little, not a lot but just a little; he went out to the sun and found a spot,,,, layed on his side like he wanted to sleep. I'm so nervous he might have that coccidiosis. I looked it up and ordered some meds just in case for I want to get him treated. My hens have been great and don't want to bring anything into my flock to make them sick. This giant has been so nervous.... I wish I could make him more comfortable. I'm doing the best I can. I have RIR's and they will be doing down the road if they keep picking on him for I really like his nature. If anyone has any suggestion or think he might have this....I've never seen a chicken go out and just lay down on their side to sleep. If you walk over to pet him, he does get up and walk like, hey... what are you doing. I kinda thought it was because of the weather change; I'm sure Florida was a lot nicer then here.
My husband just bought some Apple Cider Vinegar; heard could put a tablespoon or 2 in a gallon of his water and would help if he had this, wouldn't hurt him if he is just still nervous. So hard to tell.
smile.png

Thank u.

Quote:
I would not expect that to be a sign of coccidiosis. He just wanted to rest. My chickens lie down on their sides in the sun all the time.

However, you should definitely quarantine this new bird for 4-6 weeks before letting him have contact with your flock.

If he comes down with coccidiosis, it is most likely to happen in about 2 weeks - or about 2 weeks after he starts scratching in your soil. He is most likely resistant to the cocci protozoa that were active where he came from, but if different strains live in your soil, he could easily have a bout of coccidiosis in a couple of weeks. So it's definitely good that you ordered the meds - did you order Corid? I always keep that on hand. ACV is great; it can't do anything but help him out. I would just give him a chance to get acclimated at this point - and quarantine him to watch for any sign of respiratory illness. Respiratory diseases can hide, and they can take out your whole flock.

I know this is an old thread, but since it was referenced in another thread I thought I should add this:

Listed below are the doses recommended the mfg's and the FDA

The severe outbreak dose (.024%) for Corid Powder is 1.5 teaspoons (4.536 grams).
The severe outbreak dose (.024%) for Corid liquid is 2 teaspoon.

The moderate outbreak dose (.012%) for Corid Powder is 3/4 teaspoon (2.268 grams).
The moderate outbreak dose (.012%) for Corid liquid is 1 teaspoon.

The .006% dose for Corid Powder is 1/3 teaspoon (1.134 grams).
The .006% dose for Corid liquid is 1/2 teaspoon.

FDA recommendations:
http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/animaldrugsatfda/details.cfm?dn=013-149
"Chickens
Indications: For the treatment of coccidiosis.
Amount: Administer at the 0.012 percent level in drinking water as soon as coccidiosis is diagnosed and continue for 3 to 5 days (in severe outbreaks, give amprolium at the 0.024 percent level); continue with 0.006 percent amprolium-medicated water for an additional 1 to 2 weeks."

And this link has these instructions:
http://www.drugs.com/vet/amprol-9-6-solution-can.html
"Poultry - as Soon As Caecal Coccidiosis Is Diagnosed, Give 0.024% Amprolium In The Drinking Water For 5 To 7 Days. Continue The Treatment With 0.006% Amprolium Medicated Water For An Additional One To Two Weeks. No Other Source Of Drinking Water Should Be Available To The Birds During This Time."

Amount of Amprolium (Corid or Amprol) liquid per 1/4 teaspoon
  • One 1/4 teaspoon = 120 mg
  • 1/2 teaspoon = 240 mg
  • 3/4 teaspoons = 360 mg
  • 1 teaspoon = 480 mg
  • 1 & 1/4 teaspoons = 600 mg
  • 1 & 1/2 teaspoons = 720 mg
  • 1 & 3/4 teaspoons = 840
  • 2 teaspoons = 960 mg

There are 4.92892ml/teaspoon, but the numbers above were calculated using 5ml/teaspoon
Here is what's in 1-10ml of the liquid
  • 1ml = 96mg
  • 2ml = 192mg
  • 3ml = 288mg
  • 4ml = 384mg
  • 5ml = 480mg
  • 6ml = 576mg
  • 7ml = 672mg
  • 8ml = 768mg
  • 9ml = 864mg
  • 10ml = 960mg

1/2 teaspoon of 20% powder = 2.8125ml of 9.6% liquid - Both have 270mg of amprolium.
3/4 teaspoon of 20% powder = 4.21875ml of 9.6% liquid - Both have 405mg of amprolium.
1 teaspoon of 20% powder = 5.625ml of 9.6% liquid - Both have 540mg of amprolium.
1.5 teaspoons of 20% powder =8.4375ml of 9.6% liquid - Both have 810mg of amprolium.
1.75 teaspoons of 20% powder = 9.84375ml of 9.6% liquid - Both have 945mg of amprolium.
2 teaspoons of 20% powder = 11.25ml of 9.6% liquid - Both have 1080mg of amprolium.

More info here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/818879/updated-corid-and-amprol-amprolium-dosing

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom