Cocci? Or intestinal shed? 1 week old chick's.

Hannahnic14

Crowing
Apr 29, 2021
Middle Tennessee
This is the only poop I see like this but it looks kinda funny...I'm paranoid because I'm having to treat my other 2 flocks right now.🤦‍♀️🙄

Attachments

• 16276518452911645208060202338966.jpg
    16276518452911645208060202338966.jpg
    414.8 KB · Views: 9
This is the only poop I see like this but it looks kinda funny...I'm paranoid because I'm having to treat my other 2 flocks right now.🤦‍♀️🙄
I would start Corid asap.

Liquid Corid is 2tsp or Powdered Corid is 1 1/2 tsp per gallon of water. Give for 5-7 days as the only source of drinking water.
Do not add anything else to the water.

Make sure all are drinking well, keep watch for any chick(s) that may act lethargic/pluffed up or not eating/drinking.

I would start Corid asap.

Liquid Corid is 2tsp or Powdered Corid is 1 1/2 tsp per gallon of water. Give for 5-7 days as the only source of drinking water.
Do not add anything else to the water.

Make sure all are drinking well, keep watch for any chick(s) that may act lethargic/pluffed up or not eating/drinking.
That's what I'm was afraid of, someone or something has brought it to my whole flock! I'm on day 5 for the rest of them so I'll start my babies right away!

Coccidia are a protozoa found in soil and in poop.
Chickens scratch in dirt, eat poop, ingest the oocysts...warm wet weather can help to increase the number ingested.
Even brooder raised chicks can have Coccidiosis by eating poop.
It happens.

Coccidia are a protozoa found in soil and in poop.
Chickens scratch in dirt, eat poop, ingest the oocysts...warm wet weather can help to increase the number ingested.
Even brooder raised chicks can have Coccidiosis by eating poop.
It happens.
Gotcha, we have had alot of hot wet weather lately. I'm in tn. And everyone who has it is outside all the time. I have new chick's coming in next week, should I keep them separate until the other chicks finish treatment?

Depends on where you are putting the new chicks.
For brooder raised chicks, I give them a pan of soil within a day or so of arrival from different areas of the runs and yard so they will have exposure and hopefully build resistance to what's found in their environment.

After the first week you could begin treating with Corid or you could start out with feeding medicated chick starter.

If you are putting them in a pen that is on ground- try to keep the area dry and water stations cleaned up.

Broody raised chicks pretty much just get exposed,
since they run about everywhere with Mama.

There's a lot of "options". Sometimes you have to find what works for your set-up and your environment, but be prepared to make changes quickly.

For brooder raised chicks, I give them a pan of soil within a day or so of arrival from different areas of the runs and yard so they will have exposure and hopefully build resistance to what's found in their environment.

After the first week you could begin treating with Corid or you could start out with feeding medicated chick starter.

If you are putting them in a pen that is on ground- try to keep the area dry and water stations cleaned up.

There's a lot of "options". Sometimes you have to find what works for your set-up and your environment, but be prepared to make changes quickly.
Thank you for this info!

I just remembered that my new chick's will be vaccinated for mareks and coccidiosis.

I just remembered that my new chick's will be vaccinated for mareks and coccidiosis.
If they are being vaccinated then you would want to keep them quarantined away from existing flock(s) for a couple of weeks so the Marek's vaccine can "take".
Don't feed medicated feed to chicks that have the Coccidiosis vaccine.

Back
Top Bottom