persistent intestinal lining

demekidis

In the Brooder
Oct 4, 2023
fethiye, Turkey
Hello, this subject has been discussed a lot, but since i am still confused,
I am posting a new thread, hoping to get some feedback.

My chickens have been treated 3 times for coccidiosis with trazuril. The last one was 1.5 months ago.
Ever-since, I see intestinal lining on their poop daily which is mostly watery and their eyes look pale.
They eat and drink normally.

Please note that I have added a new healthy chicken to the flock and after a week, i have noticed intestinal lining on its poop so it must be something contagious.

There is no vet in my area, any ideas?
Thanks a lot in advance

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2024-02-19 at 11.07.57.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-02-19 at 11.07.57.jpeg
    539.6 KB · Views: 63
  • WhatsApp Image 2024-02-19 at 11.07.58 (1).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-02-19 at 11.07.58 (1).jpeg
    468.9 KB · Views: 14
  • WhatsApp Image 2024-02-19 at 11.07.58 (2).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-02-19 at 11.07.58 (2).jpeg
    435.5 KB · Views: 14
  • WhatsApp Image 2024-02-19 at 11.07.58.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-02-19 at 11.07.58.jpeg
    118.5 KB · Views: 14
I don't see intestinal lining in those images. Can you circle what you are concerned about?

The poops are obviously wetter than normal; do you have any idea how much fibre are they getting in their diet?

I see some intestinal lining in the second and third pictures, but those droppings look very runny. What do you feed your chickens? Have you wormed them? Worms can also cause blood or lining in the droppings. Albendazole, fenbendazole, and levamisole are some wormers used around the world. Do you have bedding available other than the cardboard? Pine shavings, sand, and straw are common types. Stirring the bedding, keeping it dry, and adding clean bedding as needed can help prevent reinfection. Getting outside in fresh grass too free range is the best for them.

Thank you very much @Perris and @Eggcessive for your answers.
My ladies free range for 10 hours a day, as such they eat large quantities of clover daily.

I have never used a wormer before, today I have bought levamisole.
Do you think that giving the medication orally with a syringe, worth the hassle?

I normally use bedding however, I replaced it with cardboard so I can replace it daily until they are healthy.

The photo was taken earlier today and there is a clear sign on blood presence.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2024-02-20 at 18.49.52.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-02-20 at 18.49.52.jpeg
    518.3 KB · Views: 9
there is a clear sign on blood presence
indeed; that looks like bleeding in the gut for sure. If it is coccidiosis, since you've treated them 3 times for that and they're still infected, I think the meds you used aren't effective anymore. This is a growing problem with commonly used medicines, especially wormers which have been and continue to be overused (especially in the pet dog and cat business) and misused (wrong drug, wrong quantity, wrong duration etc).

I do not treat for coccidiosis. My birds free range from hatch, and develop some immunity to the strains prevalent here without interference. When they endure a bout of infection, as some do from time to time, I offer supportive care - extra mealworms for any hanging around the back door, plain natural yogurt, banana, sardines, or other nutritious and easy-to-digest food like milk-soaked bread - and they get over it in their own time.

Could post a picture of your levamisole wormer, including the label? Normally birds are given 20 mg of levamisole per kg of weight in water. It should not be given directly. Then it is repeated in 21 days.

Thank you both.
It says: 15 grams of Nilverm, contains 1909,26mg levamisole equal to 2250mg levamizole HCI

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2024-02-21 at 19.42.42 (1).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-02-21 at 19.42.42 (1).jpeg
    131 KB · Views: 6
I am not sure how much you would need to use to give 20 mg per kg of the medication. With my math I get 150 mg of levamisole for each gram or about 1/4 teaspoonful. Do you know how much your chicken weighs? Are you planning on treating the one chicken or more than that?

I am not sure how much you would need to use to give 20 mg per kg of the medication. With my math I get 150 mg of levamisole for each gram or about 1/4 teaspoonful. Do you know how much your chicken weighs? Are you planning on treating the one chicken or more than that?
Thanks so much, I will find the right dosage. My chickens are around 3KG each and i will treat them all.

Thanks so much, I will find the right dosage. My chickens are around 3KG each and i will treat them all.
Treat them one day in the water, and then repeat in 21 days or thereabouts, to get the ones that hatch from eggs. Wormers generally do not kill the worm eggs, just the live worms.

Back
Top Bottom