Blood/Worms in Poop?

sammygoat

Hatching
Oct 31, 2023
Hi all,

I found a dropping of poop this morning that, although it did not look bloody, it looked either like worms... or a piece of intestinal lining... I am unsure which is why I am posting here.

One of our girls has always had watery poop, done a lot to try and fix it. Sometimes it is watery, other times it is normal. This is the first time I am seeing something like this. Obviously I am very afraid of coccidiosis.

All four of my girls are showing good energy, eating, drinking, and are currently eating all the bugs off a tree we have in the yard. What is this in their poop then? Worms?

I appreciate all your help, thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-10-31 at 10.39.56 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-10-31 at 10.39.56 AM.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 67
  • Screen Shot 2023-10-31 at 10.39.30 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-10-31 at 10.39.30 AM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 23
  • Screen Shot 2023-10-31 at 10.39.49 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-10-31 at 10.39.49 AM.png
    878.1 KB · Views: 23
Hi all,

I found a dropping of poop this morning that, although it did not look bloody, it looked either like worms... or a piece of intestinal lining... I am unsure which is why I am posting here.

One of our girls has always had watery poop, done a lot to try and fix it. Sometimes it is watery, other times it is normal. This is the first time I am seeing something like this. Obviously I am very afraid of coccidiosis.

All four of my girls are showing good energy, eating, drinking, and are currently eating all the bugs off a tree we have in the yard. What is this in their poop then? Worms?

You might have to post a picture to help a little more. Also watery poop is essentially chicken pee.

Hi all,

Welcome To BYC @sammygoat

How old are your hens?

If possible, take a sample of poop to your vet for a fecal float to check for worms and Coccidiosis.
If that's not possible, then I would deworm and treat for Coccidiosis.
To treat Coccidiosis, you can find Cord at TSC in the cattle section.
Liquid Corid dose is 2tsp or Powdered Corid Dose is 1 1/2tsp per gallon of water given for 5-7 days as the only source of drinking water.
Do not add any extra vitamins/electrolytes that contain B1(Thiamine) to food or water during the course of treatment.

For deworming, you can use Safeguard (Fenbendazole) or Valbazen (Albendazole).
Safeguard dose is 0.23ml per pound of weight given orally once a day for 5 days in a row.
OR
Valbazen dose is 0.08ml per pound of weight given orally once, then repeated in 10 days.

You might have to post a picture to help a little more. Also watery poop is essentially chicken pee.
Watery poop is not Pee. Chickens do not technically pee, urates are mixed with poop. The white cap on the poop is the urates or urine.

While watery poop can sometimes be normal - like in summer when birds drink a lot of water or eat a lot of foods that are watery (Melon, Cucumber, etc.), it can also be cause for concern if consistent and shows up with other things like what the OP has in the photos.

Welcome To BYC @sammygoat

How old are your hens?

If possible, take a sample of poop to your vet for a fecal float to check for worms and Coccidiosis.
If that's not possible, then I would deworm and treat for Coccidiosis.
To treat Coccidiosis, you can find Cord at TSC in the cattle section.
Liquid Corid dose is 2tsp or Powdered Corid Dose is 1 1/2tsp per gallon of water given for 5-7 days as the only source of drinking water.
Do not add any extra vitamins/electrolytes that contain B1(Thiamine) to food or water during the course of treatment.

For deworming, you can use Safeguard (Fenbendazole) or Valbazen (Albendazole).
Safeguard dose is 0.23ml per pound of weight given orally once a day for 5 days in a row.
OR
Valbazen dose is 0.08ml per pound of weight given orally once, then repeated in 10 days.

Watery poop is not Pee. Chickens do not technically pee, urates are mixed with poop. The white cap on the poop is the urates or urine.

While watery poop can sometimes be normal - like in summer when birds drink a lot of water or eat a lot of foods that are watery (Melon, Cucumber, etc.), it can also be cause for concern if consistent and shows up with other things like what the OP has in the photos.
Three are under a year old, another is about a year and a half.

I believe it is the older hen that had these droppings. She consistently has watery poop and has been going through a soft molt since August. She has not laid an egg in a few weeks, before she stopped she was laying eggs with weak shells but would never eat the oyster shell I had on offer. She has high energy though and acting normal/eating/drinking otherwise.

To note - I gave them a small pumpkin for the first time and the older hen absolutely devoured it as she is the queen bee around my girls so she had the most of it out of the other girls. Just wondering if introducing something new can be the root too even though they have tough stomachs.

Three are under a year old, another is about a year and a half.

I believe it is the older hen that had these droppings. She consistently has watery poop and has been going through a soft molt since August. She has not laid an egg in a few weeks, before she stopped she was laying eggs with weak shells but would never eat the oyster shell I had on offer. She has high energy though and acting normal/eating/drinking otherwise.

To note - I gave them a small pumpkin for the first time and the older hen absolutely devoured it as she is the queen bee around my girls so she had the most of it out of the other girls. Just wondering if introducing something new can be the root too even though they have tough stomachs.
Giving a pumpkin to pick at is fine.
It's not the cause of intestinal shedding and the loose poop, you've been seeing that long before you gave pumpkin.

Back
Top Bottom