cocci still?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LeviS, Jul 24, 2013.

1. LeviS

LeviS Songster

May 22, 2012
    North Dakota
    Morning everybody, I have some issues with my almost 2 month old group of light Sussex and buff orpingtons. I had thought they had coci since I had found traces of blood in their feces. I’ve been giving them plain greek yogurt and corid for almost 3 weeks already and this morning I lost two more of my light Sussex and have a buff orpington that is displaying the hunched up, pale face, not growing, symptoms.

So far I’ve lost 4 of my light Sussex, I think it had something to do with the fact that I bought the Sussex as 2 week olds and I have no idea if they were on medicated feed or not; because my orpingtons have appeared immune until recently and I got them as day olds and have been on medicated feed since day one. I’ve been separating them, cleaned out my coop, putting a light on them at night (its been rather chilly) plus giving them the corid/yogurt. I’m at a loss as to what to do, any further advice would be most welcome.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Free Ranging Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    What dose are you using with the Corid? Have you been treating all of these birds with the Corid dose for 3 weeks? The usual recommendation for treatment is 5-7 days. The birds' appetite is poor during this, so you need to make sure they drink the water. The droppings really need to be kept out of food and water, and litter kept dry as you are doing. I might be wondering if this was another disease or that is is resistant to Corid. Sulfadimethoxine (Albon, DiMox, and Sulfamed-G) is another medicine with which you can treat cocci. Anyone else have suggestions?

Last edited: Jul 24, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by