cocci . . . *updated questions p. 3*

Quote:
Ohhhh you're feeding an antibiotic. BMD is Bacitracin an antibiotic - not just a coccidiostat. Antibiotics are a standard practice for industrial poultry applications but not really your best bet for small flocks. What brand is it may I ask? If possible next batch try to get a starter/starter grower that is NOT medicated with BMD.

Giving Corid with the feed amprolium is not too much. It's fine.

The dosage is 2.6 cc's per gallon of water. (You can use an empty syringe to measure). Or a 1/2 teaspoon (kitchen measuring spoon please) per gallon.

PVS? I'm confused - what is this? In any case you probably only want the meds and water in the water.

I can easily change the feed, but if you don't mind, since I am trying to learn about this, would you explain why the BMD is not good? thanks!

i'm hopping on this thread....

is Corid safe for laying hens - that is - are their eggs ok or should i not eat them until it has cleared their system?

thanks!

Quote:
I asked that same thing and was told yes it is safe for them, but that you should not use the eggs for human consumption for 2 weeks after stopping medication.

thanks thanks thanks - how are your chickies?? i'm so glad i found your post - i had the exact Q's and i think i bought the same thing!

please give me hope that your chicks are ok?????

the first one died, I got to her to late in the game. the others have perked up and are running around after one day of med water but two still look very pale. funny thing is these are older and have been on dirt for weeks. I really think it got brought onto my property somehow. My question now is what is the incubation period ie; how long before symptoms did they contrat this? anyone have any ideas?

ugh - sorry about the first. i'm noticing that my droopy one has perked up a bit this afternoon! so wow! i'm hoping for the best.

i'm also going to follow the probiotic instructions - i'm a firm believer in yogurt as a 'cure all' anyway.

from what i've read i think it has to do with water --- the ones that had it were near the ducklings - who muck up everything - thats what i'm going with. and all of a sudden we had a long and hot rain - which was weird... anyway - we've never had any problem and we didnt introduce anyone new but the 2month old chicks. to be fair, we had several people come over and buy some of the ducklings.. so maybe someone brought it here?

in your case it very well could have come from somewhere else - like on someone's shoes? another animal???

its all very nerve wracking as i'm sure you know!

our place is on pond and a river and we have a lot of wild water fowl as well.
also I had a lady bring back two roosters she thought she could keep but couldn't, this happened about 2 1/2 weeks ago which is why I am trying to figure out incubation period. going to update the question and see if anyone has time to look at it. good luck to you keep me updated. My pale pullet is looking a bit droopy so I just brought her in to be force fed a little water. I am noticing that her crop is empty . . . I hope she is not to far gone . . . . aghhhh

oh no! i'll have my 'hope' on full speed for you....

and yep i'm guessing your little roo friends may have brought you the gift that keeps on giving.

i think my little ones actually grew today!

i'll check in with you tomorrow - would love to hear how your little one is doing.

sending hugs!
:)

Back
Top Bottom