Coccidea treatment

aeb1960

Chirping
7 Years
Nov 28, 2012
We just brought home two 3-wk-old silkie chicks from a backyard breeder on Friday. One walks around shaking its head and opening its moiuth a lot. Now I noticed blood on the shavings and observed it passing a bloody dropping. So, if I need to treat it, I know I will have to treat the other chick, but what about my other 16 chicks (12 weeks old) that I have in a different brooder? They are awaiting the finishing of their coop and are in a large box in the same garage where I am keeping the new little ones. Do I also have to treat them? It is it imperative that I begin treatment immediately, or can I buy medicine tomorrow and start then? THANK YOU!

two 3-wk-old silkie chicks from a backyard breeder on Friday.
I noticed blood on the shavings and observed it passing a bloody droppingwhat about my other 16 chicks (12 weeks old) that I have in a different brooder?It is it imperative that I begin treatment immediately

If you are seeing them actively passing bloody droppings, then treatment would need to be ASAP.

Corid can usually be found at your local feed store. Dosage is 1 1/2 teaspoons Corid powder per gallon or 2 teaspoons of 9.6% Corid liquid per gallon. Give for 5-7 days - make sure this is the ONLY water available during that time period. Mix a fresh batch at least once a day.

Since your 12wk olds are in a different brooder, it's most likely not necessary to treat them unless you have shared cleaning implements between the brooders (poop scoopers, etc.). Corid is mild and safe to use, so it won't hurt them, but no need to unnecessarily treat until it's needed.

Keep us posted.

Back
Top Bottom