Coccidia... anyone else having problems?

I have on hand Pyrantel and Ivomec paste wormer... I don't have any Safeguard (I can get some that is not a problem) but I do have Safeguard wormer for goats, in liquid form, will that work or does it need to be the paste? Thanks

Hi

I am new. My chicks are about 16 weeks. The last time I had chickens I did not worm. Was I lucky? How often do they need to be wormed? Do they need it regularly like a dog or a cat or do they just need worming when they are showing signs of worms?

They usually need worming when you see signs, like actual worms or extreme weight loss, with bloody diarrhea. If you see the latter, they are most likely heavily infested and have intestinal damage. I wormed my flock for the first time at about two years old and only because I saw a roundworm in one rooster's poop. The second time I did it was because there was alot of rain and we were seeing roundworms laying out on the ground.

A healthy chicken can handle a light worm load; it's when the system is heavily infested, that you see awful symptoms and the situation is critical.

Thank you for the quick reply and nice to meet you. Hope to visit again.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom