Coccidia... anyone else having problems?

If I had some dying, I'd take a fecal sample into the vet to see if it was cocci or not. Fairly inexpensive and then you would know what you should be treating. I am dealing with my first outbreak of coccidia and used Corid for several days before switching to sulfadimethoxine. Seems to be getting better, keep your fingers crossed for us. I worm as a precaution twice a year with ivomec.

Dr. Peter Brown (featherfanciers) recommends using Corid first, then if you think they need it, to do a round of Sulmet, second. The Corid usually clears it up, but in particularly tough cases, they could need a one-two punch. Sulmet is harder on their gut, being a sulpha drug and can actually make intestinal bleeding continue longer than it would if you used Corid first.

The best way to deal with this problem is to prevent them from getting sick. Cover the ground with hydrated lime every 4 months. Then use a rake to scratch it into the ground. Hydrated lime will kill a lot of protozoans, bacteria and virus. Also, I believe it will kill some worm eggs.

I had a bad strain run through my breeder pens this year. It must have come from the wild birds as they have been in these pens for over a year now with no problems.

I lost one adult wheaten cock from it and was devastated that I didn't catch it sooner. I used corid for a week and cleared it up.

After they have been wormed how long do you have to wait to eat the eggs?? Or can they be consumed still???

I have never wormed mine but I am seeing bloody poops in the mornings. At first just one and now a couple more and it is diareah with the blood. The girls are about 28 weeks old and are now all laying for me. I see nothing different about them. They all still race to the door and seem to be fine.

Back
Top Bottom