Coccidia Question

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sweetshoplady, May 3, 2008.

1. sweetshoplady

sweetshoplady Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Venice, Florida
    One of my new EEs I believe has coccidia. I searched and came to that conclusion from someone else's post here who had her symptoms. I gave her and all the youngsters sulmet and poly-vi-sol last night and plan to for the next 4 days. My question is should I give the sulmet to the 13 wk old Delaware's or wait til the Alban gets here for them? And should I treat Millie (yr old RIR hen)?

Betty is in a separate cage so that I can moniter her. I put her there while I tried to find out why she had bloody poop.

Thanks in advance.

2. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

I would treat them all...because the ones that haven't had the antibiotic made reinfect the others.

3. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    If one has it, they've all been exposed. If you have a year old hen, she's certainly been infected and survived it and is now resistant. It can't really hurt to treat them all; but I wouldn't freak out and expect her to die without symptoms.

It is very very simply to take a fecal sample from chickens to a vet and have them check for coccidiossis. It cost me $10 last time. This will validate your diagnosis and save you money in the long run from buying drugs the may not need. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by