Coccidiosis 5/ day old chicks poop

Isholdhouse

Hatching
Apr 30, 2022
This morning one of the girls died (I know baby chicks can die, that isn’t uncommon). Yesterday I was worried their poop didn’t seem right and went to the hatchery where they acted like I was crazy and they were fine. I’m just worried all of them are going to die now. This is our first time having chicks, so I am fully ready to admit this is my first rodeo 🤪.
I was following lisa Steeler’s recommendations for organic chick food and now they are on medicated but I’m worried it’s too late for them.

I got corid this morning, should I just treat them or does this seem normal? 2AEAEED2-C1CB-46CC-80D9-7A6EDB132A7D.jpeg 2B4581E5-2FB4-4D5C-BE0E-CAE9854F9DDC.jpeg 8C791D79-F049-4DC7-B13A-DC3F8700188F.jpeg

Welcome to BYC. It is rare for a hatchery chick to have coccidiosis at 5 days, but you can go ahead and treat with Corid right away. Give a drop of undiluted Corid once a day in addition to the medicated water. Corid dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid or 1.5 tsp of the powder per gallon of water for 5-7 days. Divide that by 4 if using a quart/liter waterer.

The most important thing is to get the chick drinking water or medicated water by dipping it’s beak often. Make sure there is no pasty butt.

Back
Top Bottom