Coccidiosis- a few questions- please help!

Doorsopenat5

Chirping
Aug 24, 2020
I’m fairly certain one of 6 week old chicks has coccidiosis- started noticing blood yesterday, started on corid today 9.5ml / gallon in the water. Treating all 4 of the 6 week olds, as well as all 4 of my 2 year old bantams (they are separate but close by).
1. Should I stop medicated feed that the littles were having with the corid liquid?
2. Should I separate the clearly sick one?
3. Best way to clean the coop and ground (littles in temporary tractor) after it’s cleared, so I can safely let my big girls free range again?

Thank you so much.

1. It's generally recommended to not use medicated feed during treatment. The feed contains a small amount of the same medication, probably not enough to make a difference, but it's usually recommended not to use it at the same time.
2. The sick one does not need to be separated unless it's so ill that it's at risk of being harmed by the others. If it might get trampled or crushed or picked on, then I'd separate. If that is not a risk, it will be happier with it's flock mates.
3. Coccidia is very resistant to any cleaners or chemicals. It's everywhere really, it's very common for causing illness in chicks. Once they are exposed, and recovered, they will have some resistance to whatever strain(s) you have, and should not get sick again unless they are weakened by something else, or exposed to new strains. Your older birds are likely resisistant to what is on your property. It's spread through droppings, so keeping feeders and waterers clean and free of droppings, and keeping droppings from building up are your best way of minimizing spread.
There is a very informative video here on coccidiosis, kind of geared towards industry, but the general information is still relevant:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/coccidiosis-video-worth-watching.1262022/#post-20259051

Back
Top Bottom