Coccidiosis and Sulfadimethoxine

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Zgm12, Jul 13, 2016.

1. Zgm12

Zgm12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2014
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I have a coop with eight Silkie hens who I recently bought from a breeder. They had coccidiosis, so I put them on what the breeder who had previously owned them recommended, Sulfadimethoxine. They were on it for 5 days and then I took them off it (that's what the instructions said to do). I thought I was done treating them,but recently I've noticed they have it again. Should I put them back on the Sulfadimethoxine?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  3. Zgm12

Jul 29, 2014
    Pittsburgh, PA
    They are lethargic, gaining little weight, and have blood stained loose stool. They are various ages ranging from about 2 months to 6 months. After researching, I found out one of the most dangerous strains attacks chickens of that age. They've been off sulfa for about a week. I was worried about putting them on the sulfa again because they were just on it. The breeder said that corid never worked for her, so I chose the sulfa medication.

4. Zgm12

Jul 29, 2014
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I think I may try to deworming them. Considering the cocci medicine wasn't working, I decided to do more research. I think they could possibly have roundworms. They've been on Sulfadimethoxine for two days. Is it safe to give them wazine?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by