Coccidiosis - how to prevent moving thru flock

cajebrso

Chirping
Jul 29, 2020
Advice appreciated! We have a flock of 4 in outside run, age 6-10 weeks.
1. One chick (6 weeks) got sick (lethargic, fluffed).
2. We treated whole flock with 1.5 tsp in 1 gallon Corid fluid for 7 days.
3. Sick chick had not improved so after 5 days of Corid, we took her to vet, got confirmation of coccidiosis, started 2x/day sulfadimexithone (sp?) orally for her. Since the whole flock was already exposed, we did not quarantine. Hope was the older chicks had already developed immunity.
4. We had a heat wave here in SoCal.
5. Treated chick is doing great but now another of the older chicks (10-12 weeks) is unusually lethargic. Still eating/drinking but laying apart from the others which is unusual for her. Other 2 chicks are fine.

Unsure about what to do because I assume it is cocci (although could be heat-related) but seemed resistant to OTC Corid. Sulmed is only available with prescription. I already spent almost $300 on vet for chick #1. I'm not keen on doing that 4 times in a row if they all get sick but maybe I can get a prescription with less $$. Even so, should I be doing something to protect the other 2? I have been picking up poop daily and not letting any sit in food or water. Continue low protective Corid treatment or mix in 50:50 medicated food?

I'm also confused about how this all started as the farm I got them from didn't recommend medicated food and no one in my neighborhood uses medicated. I live in a dry, deserty area in SoCal.

Thanks for any help you can give! Cascade

Ps here's a pic of the recovering chick!

Attachments

• IMG_0427.JPG
    IMG_0427.JPG
    671.2 KB · Views: 11
Treating the whole flock is a good idea-- except, you probably should not treat the chicken on the medication from the vet, as I don't know how the two "medications" would respond with each other. Does that make sense?

The medicated feed probably contains a small amount of amprolium. It would be best to use a sulfa drug to treat sick birds with coccidiosis. See if you can get some more sulfadimethoxine from your vet.
Use ammonia water to clean and disinfect waterers.

Thanks so much all! We did get sulfa antibiotic and have been washing the waterer regularly. The rest are doing well - fingers crossed that they have passed the threshold for high susceptibility (they are 11-15 weeks old now, and the youngest is the one we treated).

To help keep the flock healthy I’m still learning but I know they sometimes eat the poop so keep the area clean as well add all new bedding. I know many like to build up the bedding to get ready for winter but I’d clear it out. Also I use apple cider vinegar in their water

I agree - I've been cleaning up poop daily since the cocci started...and it's just a habit now so I plan to continue. I put ACV in their water in the plastic waterer - not in the metal one because I think it's not good in metal (plz correct me if I'm wrong!).

I agree - I've been cleaning up poop daily since the cocci started...and it's just a habit now so I plan to continue. I put ACV in their water in the plastic waterer - not in the metal one because I think it's not good in metal (plz correct me if I'm wrong!).
You’re right only in plastic

Back
Top Bottom