1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Coccidiosis if Treated as Chicks

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dorkings, Feb 19, 2012.

1. dorkings

dorkings Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2011
    New Hampshire
    I have a hen that is acting all droopy we brought her in yesterday and she ate some canned corn and perked back up. Today the same thing so I brought her in again. We Fed them feed treated for coccidiosis for at least 8 weeks when we got them as day olds. Poo is runny and not eating today. [​IMG]
    Thanks.

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Hi, you need to give more information, if you go to the beginning of "Emergencies......." there's a sticky that has a list of questions to answer.

3. dorkings

Jul 21, 2011
    New Hampshire
    Thanks seminolewind for the tip. She is a 7 month old Dorking and is the only one displaying this listlessness behavior that she came out of yesterday. When I went down to feed and water this morning I did not notice anything but this afternoon she was by herself and did not come over for treats. I have her in the house and have not seen her eat or drink yet. Her poop in not as runny as yesterday. Thank you in advance.

4. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Chickens can get coccidiosis even if on medicated feed. I believe there are several kinds, like 6 kinds and only one has bloody stool. The others, the chickens are not eating, they huddle with their feathers puffed out. You look at them and they LOOK sick. You may want to think about that, too.

5. dorkings

Jul 21, 2011
    New Hampshire
    Again thank you, I am off to get coccidiosis meds in the morning. She has decided to roost on a small desk for the night so we decided to leave her there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by