Coccidiosis: longterm effects & contagion: 2 questions

They has sulfa the first week i had them. Then they were better for a week. Now the coccidiosis is back.
Make sure you are sanitizing EVERYTHING.
Here is a chart of drugs for chickens with cocci. I just noticed it mentions toltrazuril. I have never used that in birds, but I DO use it in cats, and have always found it to be extremely effective.

Attachments

• Overview of Coccidiosis in Poultry - Chickens- Merck Veterinary Manual.pdf
    59.8 KB · Views: 6
Per @dawg53 I did plain boiled white rice mixed in buttermilk the first day & they LOVED it & then I made a mash with their feed & buttermilk the next 2 days. They also loved that too.

I hope you can get them fixed up, cant hurt to try the buttermilk. For something so straight forward as coccidiosis is supposed to be, so many of us have such issues. Good luck.

No fears -- I am not culling anyone yet. Right now I am waiting for the full path report to come back. if that comes back clean except for Coccidiosis, what I was wondering is if the severe strain of it my chicks have would damage the others?

So to be clear -- I realize all chickens are exposed to coccidiosis. Just not sure that all are exposed to E. Necatrix and e. Tenella. They certainly have one or both of those, given the location of the disease in the necropsied chick. In particular, Necatrix appears to pose a danger to older chickens.

Last edited:
I know I sounds odd but something I tried naturally and it heal things like magic and it's Moringa olifera and Fennel Seed Essenial oil which help in Coccidiosis strains but in serious outbreak medication is must ..

I believe that Natural stuff is a good route and Coccidiosis is a stubborn thing cocci and other Bacterial Infection that looks like Cocci

But the herbs I tried work well and helped alot
Saaniya, do these products have to be in essential oil form, and, if so, which brands did you use? I am seeing they can both come in powder forms, which I find to be preferable, personally, of that will be as effective. I have had an AWFUL time with coccidiosis I his last year and would love to find some natural boosters to minimize the little nasties.

Saaniya, do these products have to be in essential oil form, and, if so, which brands did you use? I am seeing they can both come in powder forms, which I find to be preferable, personally, of that will be as effective. I have had an AWFUL time with coccidiosis I his last year and would love to find some natural boosters to minimize the little nasties.
Keep everything as dry as possible. I use sand inside the coops as well as the pens.
When corid fails, use a sulfa drug such as sulfadimethoxine or SMZ-TMP. Do not give birds anything containing thiamine when using corid.

Back
Top Bottom