Coccidiosis or Intestinal Lining?

olilandy

Chirping
Nov 16, 2020
Louisiana
Sorry for the DE everywhere I’m trying to clean the coop. Is this coccidiosis or intestinal lining? I have 3 12 week old pullets and I’m just concerned they may be sick..? But they look normal, still forging together and feathers look normal.

I do have Corid on hand if you think I should use it.

Attachments

• IMG_4053.jpeg
    IMG_4053.jpeg
    793.1 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_4064.jpeg
    IMG_4064.jpeg
    868 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4065.jpeg
    IMG_4065.jpeg
    784.6 KB · Views: 6
Yes. Use it. The photo seems to show a blob that is more ruby red than red orange, the latter being the color of intestinal lining, and the former the color of blood.

Corid is merely a thiamine blocker, so it's safe to do a couple rounds if you suspect cocidiosis. If any chickens are behaving lethargically, that gives you more reason to suspect coccidiosis.

Yes. Use it. The photo seems to show a blob that is more ruby red than red orange, the latter being the color of intestinal lining, and the former the color of blood.

Corid is merely a thiamine blocker, so it's safe to do a couple rounds if you suspect cocidiosis. If any chickens are behaving lethargically, that gives you more reason to suspect coccidiosis.
Thank you for your response! I probably also should have mentioned that I have 4 other hens as well & one just got over being broody so I didn’t know if the blood could have been from her. Everyone is on medicated feed at the moment.

I will use the Corrid. Do you happen to know how much I should use in a 5 gallon drinking bucket? And for how long?

Do not feed medicated feed during Corid treatment. The proportions are two teaspoons per gallon, so ten teaspoons per five gallons, but you should mix it fresh each day. Five days of Corid water, then a week off, then five more days of Corid to knock out any oocytes that have hatched. It safest to go on the assumption that the blood is connected coccidiosis. It's safest to treat even if you only suspect coccidiosis.

Back
Top Bottom