Coccidiosis Questions

HooGirl09

Hatching
May 21, 2020
1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.) - Sapphire Gem not sure of weight I think 8 weeks
2) What is the behavior, exactly. Seems to be normal chicken behavior, just poop looks bad.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? I got her yesterday, since last night.
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? not yet.
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. No, just bloody poop.
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. She was being kept in very dirty conditions.
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. Yes, lots/normal.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Watery, runny, sometimes yellow/green and bloody.
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? Getting CORID when store opens.
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? Hope to do it myself.
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use - Just put her in a makeshift coop last night when sand as the bedding.

Hi everyone!

I think the chick I rescued has coccidiosis. I have a few questions. I think she’s about 8 weeks.

I’ve kept her quarantined away from my chicks, but she did walk over near their run this morning. I don’t think she pooped. Should I treat them to be safe?

How far away in my yard should I keep her and her coop? I don’t have a huge yard, so I am thinking just opposite sides, but I want to be able to let her free range some.

How long do I need to quarantine her for? I assume until poop looks better, but how long after that?

When cleaning her coop - do I do a deep clean now, or later, or both? She’s just been in it since last night, brought her home then.

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.) - Sapphire Gem not sure of weight I think 8 weeks
2) What is the behavior, exactly. Seems to be normal chicken behavior, just poop looks bad.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? I got her yesterday, since last night.
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? not yet.
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. No, just bloody poop.
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. She was being kept in very dirty conditions.
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. Yes, lots/normal.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Watery, runny, sometimes yellow/green and bloody.
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? Getting CORID when store opens.
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? Hope to do it myself.
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.

I took my pullets to the vet when one started having bloody poop. I was new to all of this and wanted to be safe. The vet gave me medicine and told me to treat all of my chickens. Even the ones on the other run. She told me it will not hurt any of them and it's better to be safe.

Dosage of the Corid is 2 tsp of the liquid Corid or 1.5 tsp of the powder per gallon of water for 5-7 days. Then you can reduce the dosage to 1/3 and continue treatment for another 5 days. You may give in addition 0.1 ml of the undiluted Corid liquid twice a day in her beak to give her an extra boost in addition to the Corid water. New additions should be quarantined from other birds for a month to monitor for signs of disease, worms, or lice/mites.

Back
Top Bottom