Coccidiosis? Secondary infection? Worms?

Castlewood

Songster
Apr 22, 2020
Austin, Texas
My Coop
My Coop
This is a continuation of a previously posted thread about recommended Corid dosage; I've moved here because I don't want to hijack that thread any further. To see the original thread with background info about our specific issue with our 5.5 month old Easter Egger Peg, along with Corid dosage recs from @casportpony , go here.

After several days of things looking up, Peg has taken a turn for the worse. We're trying to figure it out quickly, but tbh it feels like a (frustrating) guessing game.

Below are updated photos of her and her poop, which I took just a few minutes ago. We've put her back inside full-time; when she was showing such improvement we'd been letting her out into the yard daily with the flock and keeping her in the isolation crate overnight.

What we've done:
Liquid Corid drench, per instructions linked above, 2x/day for 5 days
Powdered Corid in drinking water per instructions I found on BYC but can't find now; at 2tsp/gallon for 6 days, now at 1/2 that
Electrolytes (no vitamins) in the water
About an hour ago we put doxycycline hyclate in her water (100mg/packet into 8oz water), no Corid, thinking perhaps she's got a secondary infection

Her crop has been more or less empty throughout the day, despite the fact that she's been eating & drinking just fine (until today anyway), so now I'm wondering if perhaps there's a worm issue...I've got some Safeguard for goats on hand, if anyone feels like that's the way we should go.

Our local vet won't test poop unless they "have a relationship with the animal" and therefore they must see her first; earliest appt. is Tuesday, 4 days from now, and in our limited experience with chickens, that could be far too late.

Add'l info: Peg came to us at about a month old, along with 9 other pullets, and almost immediately started sneezing. We don't cull our backyard flock, so instead isolated her right away to give a round of doxycycline, which we'd learned about after losing several other hens to respiratory illness months prior. She recovered like a champ and became head chickie of that group--and also a complete, cuddly lap chicken. Needless to say, we don't want to lose her now.

Any insight, recommendations, guidance, or prayers will be welcome!

00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200807162059816_COVER.jpg
00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200807162049676_COVER.jpg

IMG_20200807_162204.jpg
IMG_20200807_162307.jpg

Id find another vet. Ive never heard of a place they wont do a fecal unless they have seen it before. Thats BS. If the Corid isnt working, a fecal is a must to determine if it is coccidia, or worms. Good luck.

Here's Peg's poop from this morning, a couple from inside the quarantine cage & another from the floor of the porch when I let her out to walk a little.

She ate cantaloupe last night and this morning like it's going out of style. Woke up and ate her crumbles like normal. The water with the doxy from yesterday afternoon is nearly gone.

I'm tagging the few people who were helpful on the previous post or active in others I've seen in hopes you might be able to offer some advice! If not, I hope you might tag others. @TwoCrows @casportpony @Eggcessive

00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200808075734918_COVER.jpg
00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200808075750482_COVER.jpg
00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200808075812581_COVER.jpg
00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200808075841400_COVER.jpg

I am so sorry she is still struggling. I would give the antibiotics a while and see if they don't make a difference. Generally you should see improvement by day 4 if the antibiotics are going to work, of course continue on until she shows no signs of illness 3 days past that point. If no improvement by day 5, antibiotics or at least this type of drug isn't the answer. Doxycycline is a good broad spectrum medication and takes care of most bacterial infections.

All this said, it never hurts to worm them if you have tried everything else. At least then you can rule out worms. But I wouldn't worm until the antibiotic treatment is done.

Oh and change the water daily and make a new batch, it breaks down quickly. This type of drug is very sensitive to hard water of any kind. Hard water will dilute the effects of this drug. So I do suggest you use distilled water with this stuff.

Oh and change the water daily and make a new batch, it breaks down quickly. This type of drug is very sensitive to hard water of any kind. Hard water will dilute the effects of this drug. So I do suggest you use distilled water with this stuff.
Thank you! Hadn't thought of the water quality affected the drug. We've got brand spankin' new filters to install in our under-sink system so this is a good kick in the butt to do it rather than leaving them sitting on the countertop like they have been for weeks...still, just to be safe we'll get distilled water when we go out for errands later.

Id find another vet. Ive never heard of a place they wont do a fecal unless they have seen it before. Thats BS. If the Corid isnt working, a fecal is a must to determine if it is coccidia, or worms. Good luck.
That's how it works here around me too. At least that's what they say and I've called so many. I don't understand the problem as it's not like we're asking them to treat anything, if anything was to be discovered. It's so frustrating

@Wyorp Rock @azygous
Always so helpful and incredibly knowledgeable ^^^ You have some incredibly knowledgeable folks on this thread already but I'm tagging these two as they've been so helpful and figured out some really complicated cases (actual life savers)

Are you changing the Corid treated water daily? I wish you the best with your beautiful girl

@Wyorp Rock @azygous
Always so helpful and incredibly knowledgeable ^^^ You have some incredibly knowledgeable folks on this thread already but I'm tagging these two as they've been so helpful and figured out some really complicated cases (actual life savers)

Are you changing the Corid treated water daily? I wish you the best with your beautiful girl
Thank you for tagging more people--the more insight, the better. This morning she's looking more like she did a few days ago: moving around, bright eyes, pecking at others over food (cantaloupe is a winner, apparently)...but now she's gone back to sleep-standing. We let her out into the yard for a bit but she's back in the isolation crate with fresh cedar, fresh doxy- and powdered Corid-treated water, and food.

The vet thing is very frustrating; I'm sorry to hear you've dealt with this too. We're in the city limits so perhaps it's one of the differences between an urban vet vs. a small town or rural vet.

I wish I was near by so I could go with you to the vet and brow beat them for not doing a simple float test on a little poop. It's nothing more than rigid adherence to a business plan and likely an office nazi manager, not the vet, is behind this. I've run into this problem big time in many medical facilities.

Shop around. There must be other vets.

I've dealt with very sick chickens that don't get better on an antibiotic in a reasonable period. I've switched to a different antibiotic after a fair length of time, usually around four or five days. This works to get the hen healing in half the cases.

@ Two Crows is one of the most knowledgeable people here. I can add nothing more to what she has recommended.

Back
Top Bottom