Coccidiosis - Treatment and aftercare questions.

My girl Clover has been acting iffy over the past few days. She's been lethargic and seems to have lost a bit of weight. Her poops looked to be normal at first, but then she started having watery poops. We took her to the vet today. She pooped on the table at the vet, and there was a red mucousy substance in it. The vet said it's likely that she has coccidiosis, and that the other girls may have it too. He gave us a dewormer for all of our girls, and he gave us an SMZ (antibiotic) + vitamin mixture for Clover to take over the next couple of weeks.

I was thinking that maybe I should also treat them with Corrid along with the vet's prescribed treatment, but I'm not sure if that'd be overkill. I'm also unsure about the aftercare. I planned of giving them a probiotic mixture after a week or two of treatment. Does that all sound right?

About 1-2 hours away, I think so.

I did raise my eyebrows a bit when the vet said that "Her comb looks pale, it should be red." She's only 8-9 weeks old, and I told him that. Do you think it'd be worth it to try what he gave us, or do you think it'd do more harm than good?
Yes, I would follow the Vet's advice.

SMZ-TMP is used to treat Coccidiosis in poultry. Deworming can be done as well.
He's covering his bases as to what the bloody mucousy poop may be.

Yes, I would follow the Vet's advice.

SMZ-TMP is used to treat Coccidiosis in poultry. Deworming can be done as well.
He's covering his bases as to what the bloody mucousy poop may be.
She is SO MUCH better today. We're just going to continue with what he prescribed, along with a vitamin + electrolyte supplement in their water.

Hope Clover continues to thrive. Do you mind saying the brand of wormer your vet prescribed, plus the vitamin mixture? I'm making sure my chicken medicine chest is armed and ready. Thanks!

Any final pics on your run? :)

Hope Clover continues to thrive. Do you mind saying the brand of wormer your vet prescribed, plus the vitamin mixture? I'm making sure my chicken medicine chest is armed and ready. Thanks!

Any final pics on your run? :)
I never got a paper with any information on it, so I'm not sure what the dewormer was. They just had me take home some syringes with the stuff already in it. The vitamin mixture is Durvet Vitamins & Electrolytes. I'm making a little chicken first aid kit also, I'll probably post about it soonish to see if I'm missing anything important.

As for the run, we've only got a few steps left! We need to put some dirt down for the skirt, finish the skirt, and close up the top where the roof panels meet the kennel panels.

Back
Top Bottom