Coccidiosis treatment and fluid resuscitation help!

Jjdesmo11

Songster
6 Years
Jun 1, 2017
Tennessee
Throwing the kitchen sink at my bantam salmon Faverolles. I admit I probably let it go to far because my birds don’t usually show bloody poop. I noticed 6 days ago after I had separated my cockerel and pullet on my porch with a cozy coop heater that although I had been treating for coccidiosis with Corid in thd water I was seeing no improvement. I moved them inside so increase their heat and start orally drenching with Corid. That day I also started tube feeding. I only have a 30 ml syringe. So I did that w warmed pedialyte. Then again w exact parrot food. I’m following @casportpony protocol for fluid replacement. I started tovsee color change on his comb and interest in food so I only tube fed one day I believe. I got generic Baycox yesterday and gave day 5 Corid orally and Baycox orally 0.2ml (1.2lb bird). Today I stopped Corid because I’ve been giving for about 10 days! And gave 2nd dose Baycox and added liquid b vitamins to water. I decided to tube feed again tonight. I’m at a loss. Slow progress but looking for help from anyone but particularly @casportpony because your threads are what I’m following. Thx

Attachments

• F1EEE0DA-158C-458A-A4AC-80359F609F51.jpeg
    F1EEE0DA-158C-458A-A4AC-80359F609F51.jpeg
    423.5 KB · Views: 67
  • 1303EF95-F435-4AC2-96C7-C98D8E4A4DCE.jpeg
    1303EF95-F435-4AC2-96C7-C98D8E4A4DCE.jpeg
    464.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 4B0F63FF-2F29-4619-8A5A-CDCCB1EAAF3B.jpeg
    4B0F63FF-2F29-4619-8A5A-CDCCB1EAAF3B.jpeg
    208.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 38946B81-596C-4553-B72B-87B3184396C0.jpeg
    38946B81-596C-4553-B72B-87B3184396C0.jpeg
    456.1 KB · Views: 7
I would give the vitamins since I just reread that you have completed 10 days of Corid. Can you give info on how old he is, and if there has ever been any illness in the flock that might be affecting him? Have you wormed him recently, and with what? My faverolles were always the lowest in pecking order, so could he have been kept from food and water by any others? Is he your only rooster? Is his crop emptying by morning? What do his poops look like?

Thanks so much. I’m on a serious vitamin regimen today! I agree with you. This fall l lost my first bird to wry neck. She was a frizzle golden neck D’Uccle I actually took her to the vet when Corid wasn’t working. She had to be hand fed and I gave scrambled eggs w vit e. And of course gave oral doses of vitamins. We got a cold snap and she couldn’t keep up. I love my bantams but I started keeping off soil for a long time to battle coccidiosis. With this cold wet weather ( I live in East TN) I worry way more. What are your thoughts on the hydro hen? I bought on clearance at tractor supply. It has probiotics also! So I can give as well as Corid and vitamins ( in the future, not giving Corid now) when my roo got sick a few weeks ago I got another bantam SF pair and saw bloody poop. I I have been giving Corid and Baycox the last 2 days. And added hydro hen to the water. I don’t want them to also get sicker. Maybe give vitamins in the am and Corid at night?
Hydro Hen looks like more of a broad spectrum probiotic. I think it would be a great idea given the ravaged GI tract.

For really sick birds, I do the oral dosage to make sure they get what they need.

I absolutely understand why you would be hesitant about the ground. I have a $35 solution. A product called Oxine AH. It's chlorine dioxide. Go read the website. It has multiple used for chicken health. You'll be wondering why it isn't marketed more aggressively to chicken owners.

I mix up a few gallons and spray the coop and my yard in spring and fall or if I get an outbreak. I often have ducks, geese, doves, cranes and cowbirds land in my yard. My girls free range, so they will get exposed to different strains.

Oxine AH takes care of that.

Corid treats coccidiosis, unfortunately it can worsen the condition before it gets better. Corid can also prevent the digestive tract from absorbing nutrients. I add liquid infant vitamins and ensure that there is Selinium in their diet to assist with absorption.

A little Tumeric and/or ginger powder will reduce inflammation.

Stop the Corid.

I hope this helps.

Corid treats coccidiosis, unfortunately it can worsen the condition before it gets better. Corid can also prevent the digestive tract from absorbing nutrients. I add liquid infant vitamins and ensure that there is Selinium in their diet to assist with absorption.

A little Tumeric and/or ginger powder will reduce inflammation.

Stop the Corid.

I hope this helps.
Can you list any references to the theory that Corid does all those things? Corid works by mimicking thiamine (vitamin b1) in the coccidia organism, so we should not give extra thiamine supplements, which are in all vitamin supplements. I have never read where Corid does anything to prevent the digestion of nutrients. Now coccidiosis will definitely cause damage to the intestines, which in turn affects absorption of nutrients.

Also his crop empties in the morning. He seems to be wasting away. I will keep crop feeding. Just wondering if I’m missing something. I ended up getting another bantam Faverolles roo. I don’t want him to die. I love this breed but I’m loosing hope
Coccidiosis interferes with nutrition absorption. He'll continue to lose weight until it is resolved, regardless of how much he eats.
Thank you! I stopped Corid.
Just a note from personal experience. Bantams seem to crash harder from coccidiosis than other breeds. Wryneck is a terrible condition that can result. Bantams are more prone to wryneck than standard chooks.

It is not pharmaceutically recommended that you give vitamin supplements with Amprolium (Corid), but 10 days of nutrition deprivation for Bantams is dangerous.

Next time (and there will be a next time), try giving an oral dosage 2 times daily for 3-5 days.

A vitamin supplement once daily between Corid doses. Not at the same time.

By volume, 4 parts water to 1 part Corid powder. Dosage is 0.34 ml per lb of body weight.

Repeat in 10 days/2 weeks.

I lost 4 Bantams. I started this method and it had success.

It looks like the Hydro Hen is a good product for electrolytes and probiotics. I don’t see any vitamins listed. I am a big fan of human B complex or Super B complex tablets which contain all of the B vitamins, and may include some C. 1/4 to 1/2 tablet can be crushed and slipped into some food or a spoonful of water. They are inexpensive and have a long shelf life compared to chicken or liquid baby vitamins. Sometimes we don’t know why a new chicken is losing weight, and if a vet is available that would run a fecal float on some fresh droppings that you bring in, that might be nice. Exposure to soil gradually is how most chickens develop tolerance to coccidia in the soil.

Back
Top Bottom