Coccidiosis Treatment Plan

joycee

Chirping
12 Years
Dec 13, 2007
When should you add back B vitamins to the diet of baby chicks that are taking Corid? I am concerned the recovered chicks will suffer vitamin deficiencies without their usual vitamins and electrolytes but understand B vitamins interfere with the thiamine blocking action of the amprolium. When the chicks showed signs of Coccidiosis, I started all of the flock (4 chicks) on Corid for 7 days and also an extra drench. After 7 days of administering the Corid, 2 chicks totally recovered and are gaining weight. The tiniest one (my favorite) was hit hard and did not make it. One other seemed fine until 2 days ago. I am giving her extra Corid drench still. According to the directions, after 7 days of administering the full dosage, It is just time to lower the dosage of Corid for 2 weeks but I am not sure what to do about the vitamins during this time. Do I give them vitamins and assume that the Corid will still be potent to kill anything during that period? Or will the vitamins render the medication useless? How long do I drench the chick just showing signs? Such complexities and worries. I thank you for any help you can give.

Don’t give vitamins while on Corid. They will get some in their food if they feel like eating. You should treat them for 5-7 days, then reduce the dosage to 1/4 for another 5-7 days. The drench is only give twice a day for a few days to one that is especially sick. Here is a graphic for dosage:
1590093163087.jpeg

Thank you! you do not think that there is any concern for vitamin deficiencies in this amount of time even for very young chicks? I have not given them any vitamins until today. I will dump their water that has the vitamins and low dose Corid and then continue for another week with a low dose. This is heart breaking. I can only guess that this came in with a used waterer that was given to me that I cleaned but did not disinfect Otherwise, they have not been around any areas that have had chickens for 5 years and then only brief field trips on the lawn to enjoy the sunshine.

I would like to try to raise more chicks this year but feel a little gun shy. What are the chances the whole house is not a possible exposure site. Could I clean the equipment well enough (I would get a new brooder). Would the older, existing chicks infect the new chicks once I unite them even if the older have recovered? If I put the recovered chicks out in the coop will they then infect the coop for a year? Boy, I wish I had answers.

I was not expecting this and am just managing to weather it. I raised a flock years ago and never experienced anything like this. In fact, they lived to be over ten years old and were lovely pets.

Coccidia is in the soil and in the gut of most chickens. If the numbers are low, they build up tolerance in the first few months of life. They didn’t get it from waterers that you cleaned. A vet could look at some fresh droppings and tell you if there is an overload. Corid is a very safe medicine, and they are not going to suffer a thiamine deficiency on the low dosage. Once you are finished with the Corid, then you can give vitamins.

Coccidia is in the soil and in the gut of most chickens. If the numbers are low, they build up tolerance in the first few months of life. They didn’t get it from waterers that you cleaned. A vet could look at some fresh droppings and tell you if there is an overload. Corid is a very safe medicine, and they are not going to suffer a thiamine deficiency on the low dosage. Once you are finished with the Corid, then you can give vitamins.
Do you recommend giving Corid to 4 day old chicks? If so what dosage and for how long?
There are many wild birds in and around where my chickens are.
Confused too about the vitamins.

Back
Top Bottom