Coccidiosis treatment UK

Pinkaboo

Songster
5 Years
May 12, 2014
Cornwall in the UK

My chickens have been ill with respiratory symptoms my vet prescribed tylan
They have now finished it but still have runny noses, diarhia and tiredness, so I thought I'd start them on coccidiosis treatment( pic above) the best you can get in the UK .
But after giving it them today in their water I think it might be stupid because there symptoms are like a cold, with runny nose, eyes, breathing was bad when they first got ill

Can I just stop the treatment after one day?

Last edited:
Harker's requires 7 days treatment, it's up to you whether you want to continue using it or not. Your vet prescribed tylan for a respiratory disease for your birds. Tylan should have been given for 3-5 days if you have the injectable or 5-7 days for the soluable powder. Or you could be dealing with a tylan resistant strain since it had no effect, either that or they have a viral respiratory infection in which antibiotics are useless. There is only one more potent med that will treat birds if it's bacterial...baytril. If it's diagnosed by your vet as a mycoplasma disease, denagard would be the best treatment. I recommend that you cull your sick birds, disinfect everything and wait 6 months before repopulating.

Harker's requires 7 days treatment, it's up to you whether you want to continue using it or not. Your vet prescribed tylan for a respiratory disease for your birds. Tylan should have been given for 3-5 days if you have the injectable or 5-7 days for the soluable powder. Or you could be dealing with a tylan resistant strain since it had no effect, either that or they have a viral respiratory infection in which antibiotics are useless. There is only one more potent med that will treat birds if it's bacterial...baytril. If it's diagnosed by your vet as a mycoplasma disease, denagard would be the best treatment.  I recommend that you cull your sick birds, disinfect everything and wait 6 months before repopulating.

We considered culling for about two seconds
They just aren't that ill now just seem to be left with a runny nose
It started in one chicken
Then another two became ill
Now a forth one

I've got a second antibiotic to try think I'll stop the harwker
Go back onto vitamins, mucus treatment and the new antibiotic ( they all had five days tylan)
They go into a new coop tomorrow which is exciting , I haven't kept the sick birds quarentined I decided to let it run its course through the whole lot of them , even chicks have been outside in a separate pen, I'd only cull if they were suffering, if it means I can't sell or add anymore chickens then so be it

Quote: Unfortunately, by exposing unaffected birds to your sick birds...they WILL suffer. If you only knew what damage respiratory diseases causes internally to birds...you wouldnt expose them. Survivors will remain carriers for life. When they are stressed in some manner, symptoms will reappear and antibiotics eventually will be ineffective. Sick birds dont lay eggs neither. Exposing birds to a disease doesnt make birds immune to that particular disease, it's the opposite, they never get rid of it and will spread it.

The vet told be not all respiratory infections leave chickens as carriers
She said swabs would be able to identify the infection and tell me if they would be carriers
But I can't afford it at the moment

If they are carriers then I'd never be able to add new chicks to the older chickens
Which I will need to do , two are already old enough to be introduced,

I won't let then suffer, one slept with me on my bed for two days! Then I had three sleep in the living room and I slept on the sofa
When they were full of mucus just nursing them kept them calm and relaxed,the antibiotics sorted the runny eyes within a day
I can see the improvement
The diarrhoea , gasping for breath, not eating or drinking have all improved
In fact the only issue seems to be the very runny noses
And I imaging this is an airborne infection

My chickens shake their heads and snot flies everywhere it would be hard to stop it spreading

I don't believe they won't build up immunity I think they will, but time will tell

She said swabs would be able to identify the infection and tell me if they would be carriers

If they are carriers then I'd never be able to add new chicks to the older chickens

I won't let then suffer, one slept with me on my bed for two days! Then I had three sleep in the living room and I slept on the sofa
When they were full of mucus just nursing them kept them calm and relaxed,the antibiotics sorted the runny eyes within a day

My chickens shake their heads and snot flies everywhere it would be hard to stop it spreading

I don't believe they won't build up immunity I think they will, but time will tell

Actually after a quick read you are right they won't build up immunity but out breaks shouldn't be as bad as the first one, if they do get it again.

Here's a link to respiratory diseases in poultry for you to take a look at. It includes symptoms, carrier status, and treatments for each disease:
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Coryza
Seems to fit very well with the chickens symptoms
Its says they are carriers if it is this
I guess the only way to be sure is to get a swab done, I'm sure they
All have the same thing

I think I might keep going with the coxidiosis treatment because I've started we can't eat the eggs for a month anyway so might as well finish it
None of the unwell birds are old enough to lay yet
But I've given it to all the birds( I saw all 4 layers! )

With coryza in chickens, there's a foul odor around the head area. Treatment for coryza is sulmet in combination with an antibiotic. If you dont smell a foul odor, it's not coryza.
BTW: If you used tylan soluable powder, there's only a one day withdrawal period, seven days for the injectable. If the Harker's coxidiosis meds is amprolium, there isnt a withdrawal period. Sulmet has a 10 day withdrawal period.
If there isnt a foul odor; go back to the link in post #7 and read about Infectious Bronchitis (IB) and Mycoplasma Gallisepticum (MG.) I suspect you're dealing with one of these diseases, and I'm leaning more with MG.

Last edited:
There is definitely a smell but its not foul
Its a bit eggy smelling actually the smell from scrambled eggs?

The poo is similar smelling

Ops didn't know there was any withdrawal period from tylan

Everyone seems good except one
She was one of the two cuckoo Marans that became ill after the faverolles
She looked awful withing an hour of becoming ill. I got antibiotics into her soluble tylan and within a few hours she was great
Both Marans were, I continued for five days then stopped

Now she's bad again sore eyes sleepy gurgling sounds runny nose so I'm starting her on the different antibiotic doxycycline
And stopped the hawkers

Back
Top Bottom