Coccidiosis

That looks like cecal coccidiosis to me. The liquid dose is 2.5 ml per quart for 5 days, then 1/4 that for 7-14 days. Giving a couple of drops was a very good idea and exactly what I would have done.

Her resting... is it standing up, eyes closed, puffed feathers, tucked neck? Is she laying? How has your weather been? How many birds in how much space? Just clues to say yes it's likely or not, no finger pointing.

Corid is the name brand of the medication to treat cocci, can usually be bought at feed stores. It works by blocking thiamine and starving out the cocci to slow their growth. They are in every single chicken poo and usually only an issue when bloomed out of control, sometimes aggravated by warm/humid conditions. Though not as common in older birds, very possible.

Treat the whole flock with the treatment dose not the prevention dose. And make sure to remove ALL other water sources. If it isn't cocci, it shouldn't hurt anything... though you will have to look up egg residuals to see if you need a withdrawal period. Do NOT supplement with vitamins during treatment.

Hope she feels better. :fl[/QUOTE

She rests standing up eyes closed and she sometimes lays down she stopped laying a couple of weeks ago only have one bird and the weather is hot and humid

Sounds very much like cocci symptoms and prime conditions for it.

I would treat as recommended by casportpony.

And I would also get her a friend as soon as possible. ;)

Since she isn't laying... I suggest using a grower, flock raiser, or unmedicated starter to get her back on track. Layer has too much calcium for non laying birds, if that's what you're using. And the extra protein and amino acids will very likely benefit her.

Cocci is very treatable. Hope she feels better VERY soon. :fl

I think one of my chicks has coccidiosis as well. I've noticed quite a bit of runny and smelly poo. I haven't noticed it being red, which would have tipped me off. However, one of my chicks was standing up, neck tucked, and all puffed up. Seems like typical symptoms. My chicks are about 2 weeks old.

My question: should I separate them? I'm going to try to keep an eye on them to determine who has the runny poo. But I have 8 chicks and not sure how many have it. I'm going to pick up Corid at the store tomorrow, because we are currently snowed in with the nor' easter going through. Should I be doing anything else tonight?

Back
Top Bottom