Coccidiosis??

Etsmith2187

Hatching
Jun 1, 2022
Hi! First time chick mom here! I've been trying my best to keep my 3 week old chick's pen as clean and as dry as I can. It's a challenge, as I'm sure yall know!! I completely change out their bedding twice a day. Been seeing the dreaded runny stools and a few bloody ones. So, I've been adding Corid to their water for the last 5 days. I'm still seeing the bloody stools. Of course it's not as terrible as the ones you Google, and it's not every pile. All the chicks are active and seem healthy. Suggestions? Thoughts?

Attachments

• 20220610_060829.jpg
    20220610_060829.jpg
    377.5 KB · Views: 28
  • 20220610_060748.jpg
    20220610_060748.jpg
    399.2 KB · Views: 10
2tsp Liquid Corid or 1 1/2 tsp Powdered Corid to 1 gallon of water is the dose. Give for 5-7 days as the only source of drinking water. Don't add any other extra supplements or vitamins to the water during the course of treatment.

The red in the poop looks like intestinal shedding. How do the chicks behave?
Photos of the chicks and their brooder may be helpful.

That said, sometimes a brooder can be too "clean". I understand, it can get stinky and you want to keep it tidy. Chicks build resistance to Coccidia found in their environment through exposure - to poop and to soils that they will live on.

You don't mention your location, but if it's fairly warm and your coop/run is ready, then consider finishing brooding them outdoors.

I think you're looking at cecal poop and intestinal shedding, not evidence of coccidiosis. If the chicks are all active and eating and drinking well, then that's likely the case.

I do the exact opposite of you - my chicks are raised outside on the run floor, they stay outside rain or shine, I don't clean the brooder, and I don't do medicated feed. My flock has had coccidiosis in the past as well. By exposing them to it from the start, I feel it helps them build up a resistance to it.

2tsp Liquid Corid or 1 1/2 tsp Powdered Corid to 1 gallon of water is the dose. Give for 5-7 days as the only source of drinking water. Don't add any other extra supplements or vitamins to the water during the course of treatment.

The red in the poop looks like intestinal shedding. How do the chicks behave?
Photos of the chicks and their brooder may be helpful.

That said, sometimes a brooder can be too "clean". I understand, it can get stinky and you want to keep it tidy. Chicks build resistance to Coccidia found in their environment through exposure - to poop and to soils that they will live on.

You don't mention your location, but if it's fairly warm and your coop/run is ready, then consider finishing brooding them outdoors.
I appreciate the advice! The more I'm reading, I do think it's intestinal shedding. I'm in Alabama. We had them in the garage, but moved them inside that has a separate AC unit that we are running warmer for them, but not too warm. Perhaps I'm keeping things too clean.

I think you're looking at cecal poop and intestinal shedding, not evidence of coccidiosis. If the chicks are all active and eating and drinking well, then that's likely the case.

I do the exact opposite of you - my chicks are raised outside on the run floor, they stay outside rain or shine, I don't clean the brooder, and I don't do medicated feed. My flock has had coccidiosis in the past as well. By exposing them to it from the start, I feel it helps them build up a resistance to it.
Thank you so much for your thoughts! I'm letting them out some in a pen while we are still working on their run, so hopefully they can build up some resistance.

Back
Top Bottom