Coccidiosis

According to my math, at 1 teaspoon per gallon one is below the recommended .024% level, but I'm glad you've found another solution. Albon (sulfadimethoxine), aka Di-Methox, is an antibiotic as well as an coccidiostat.

-Kathy

Thank you Kathy :) what do you think? These 2 (tho only 1 is actually showing a problem) are now 15 wk old, fair sized Aussie pullets. Should I up the dose to 1 1 1/4, 1 1/2??? What does your math say? Even with priority it's going to be at least 2 days (optimistic) before it gets here and this poor hen is now been "shedding " almost constantly for three weeks now. Can't believe how well she's actually still doing, all things considered but she is starting to rest more and more, poor chook.

I've done the math a couple of ways and if I were going to use the powder, I would dose with 1.5 teaspoons. Here is a thread I started:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/818879/corid-and-amprol-amprolium-dosing

I double checked my math and there is a very small error, but it doesn't change the final results of 1.5 teaspoons.

I spoke with the mfg of Corid and Amprol and he said that it has a very high margin of safety, but in the end it's up to you and I'm sure many people will say that the dose is 1/2 teaspoon. If you know anyone that's really good with math and basic physics, have them help you calculate the dose to get 128 ounces of water medicated to .024% amprolium.

-Kathy

Hi Kathy :frow
Thought I'd give an update. I switched to the 1 1/2 tsp. This is day four and day two, more intestinal tissue, day three, just a tiny bit in regular droppings, and today? NOTHING! Since this is day seven total (first 3 were at the 1tsp dose) I gave probiotics in the water and some protein then this afternoon I switched out the water for some with the 1 tsp dose which, if things look good, I plan to continue for another 7 to 10 days. Then, since she did have such a rough time, I am considering continuing for another week at 3/4 tsp. The promised drug never showed up but now it looks it was just as well.
Just to be on the safe side I also started my other birds on the 1 tsp dose as well (3 pullets that just started to lay, 1 13 month old and an older rescue I've had for a while that was so screwed up she no longer lays) and will switch them at the same time. I did see a small bit of blood and tissue in a regular dropping of one of my 6 month old pullets yesterday. Nothing today but better safe than sorry at this point.
As I sit here writing, I am beginning to second guess whether I should put the two Aussies back on the higher dose for a couple more days. I just don't know. They've already been on amprol for quite a while.

Last edited:
Found this thread while looking for pictures not related to this subject, but I'm also working on a powdered medication project and thought I'd let all of you know that I finally got some Corid powder and will weight it later this week and post my results.

-Kathy

Quote: I was wrong. Everyone kept saying it was 1/2 teaspoon, so I thought it was. Since that post I have learned that one teaspoon of Corid powder weighs 2.7-3 grams, so one teaspoon contains 540-600 mg of amprolium.

The Corid powder dose is no less than 1.5 teaspoons per gallon for 5 days, then 1/3 teaspoon for 7-14 days.

-Kathy

Do older hens get coccidiosis?  Never had a problem or any symptoms before now.  She is 4 years old.

Yes they can. There are 9 or more strains of coccidia that affect chickens. If they are exposed to a new strain they are not used to, they won't have any resistance to it. Also if they are having problems with immunity or recent illness, they can get sick. The best way to determine that is to get a fecal test performed, or just go ahead and treat with a 5 day course of Corid or amprollium. Some strains of cocci are chronic, and can keep a chicken from gaining weight or being productive.

Last edited:
Yes they can. There are 9 or more strains of cocidia that affect chickens. If they are exposed to a new strain they are not used to, they won't have any resistance to it. Also if they are having problems with immunity or recent illness, they can get sick. The best way to determine that is to get a fecal test performed, or just go ahead and treat with a 5 day course of Corid or amprollium. Some strains of cocci are chronic, and can keep a chicken from gaining weight or being productive.
Thank you. I am going to get some Corid today, or order some and start treatment ASAP.

Back
Top Bottom