Coccidiosis

Here is part one of the experiment. Goal was to figure out how much 3.5 tablespoons of Corid weighs, but I don't have Corid powder, so I used corn starch. I very gently filled the spoons and made them as level as possible without compacting the powder by using a straight edge.

3.5 tablespoons of corn starch - scale set to ounces

3.5 tablespoons of corn starch - scale set to grams

Clear picture of gram reading

Clear picture of ounce reading

Spoons used

All items used

Last edited:
Here is part one of the experiment. Goal was to figure out how much 3.5 tablespoons of Corid weighs, but I don't have Corid powder, so I used corn starch. I very gently filled the spoons and made them as level as possible without compacting the powder by using a straight edge.

3.5 tablespoons of corn starch - scale set to ounces

3.5 tablespoons of corn starch - scale set to grams

Clear picture of gram reading

Clear picture of ounce reading

Spoons used

All items used
You are making a major assumption!!!!! What is it? What is cost is incorrect?

You are making a major assumption!!!!! What is it? What is cost is incorrect?
How am I making a major assumption? The Corid website and the mfg. data sheet states very clearly almost exactly the same data, "1 oz = 3 1/2 measuring tablespoonfuls, 1 oz = 28.35 grams". My experiment was done to prove to myself that it is possible for 3.5 tablespoons of powder to equal 1 ounce and that Corid and the mfg did not make a mistake in their literature and dosing info. I'd be willing to bet that the results will be the same with sugar, salt and other powders that have a similar density to Corid.

Sources:
http://valleyvet.naccvp.com/index.php?m=product_view_basic&u=country&p=msds&id=1111005

And

-Kathy

I think the source of confusion here is with liquid versus powder weights/volume measurements, one part of this experiment will also include water. For those interested, I edited posts 82 and 103 a few minutes ago.

-Kathy

Edited to add:
I wish I had some lead BB's to weigh! Or some mercury!

Another edit:
Source: http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Wikijunior:The_Elements/Mercury
"Mercury is a silvery metal that is liquid at room temperature. It is very dense, which means that it is very heavy even if you don't have very much of it. One tablespoon of mercury would weigh almost 8 ounces (230 grams) — this is heavy enough for metal objects like coins to float in it!"

Last edited:
I think the source of confusion here is with liquid versus powder weights/volume measurements. One part of this experiment will also include water. For those interested, I edited posts 82 and 103 a few minutes ago.

-Kathy

Edited to add:
I wish I had some lead BB's to weigh! Or some mercury!

Another edit:
Source: http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Wikijunior:The_Elements/Mercury
"Mercury is a silvery metal that is liquid at room temperature. It is very dense, which means that it is very heavy even if you don't have very much of it. One tablespoon of mercury would weigh almost 8 ounces (230 grams) — this is heavy enough for metal objects like coins to float in it!"
Experiments/double checking resources are great. Keeps everyone on their "toes"! Have fun!

Experiments/double checking resources are great. Keeps everyone on their "toes"! Have fun!
Please, please, please, *everyone*, check my math and my process, 'cause I do make mistakes, and if I make one here I will want to correct it!

-Kathy

Last edited:
How am I making a major assumption? The Corid website and the mfg. data sheet states very clearly almost exactly the same data, "1 oz = 3 1/2 measuring tablespoonfuls, 1 oz = 28.35 grams". My experiment was done to prove to myself that it is possible for 3.5 tablespoons of powder to equal 1 ounce and that Corid and the mfg did not make a mistake in their literature and dosing info. I'd be willing to bet that the results will be the same with sugar, salt and other powders that have a similar density to Corid.

Sources:
http://valleyvet.naccvp.com/index.php?m=product_view_basic&u=country&p=msds&id=1111005

And

-Kathy
That is what I was looking for, the density comparisons. Sugar and salt are very far apart with respect to density. If memory serves with respect to Corid, then Corid I have has a density most similar to starch or just a little more dense than starch. I am more comfortable making batches of Corid laced water based on solute weight, especially when making up fresh smaller batches daily. The Corid is prone to compaction issues which for me is prone to cause lower than desired working dosages, especially with smaller batches. Those little measuring cups are crappy unless measuring fluids even though good enough for cooking.

This is way over my head, lol.
http://physics.info/density/

-Kathy
That is proper type of information but does not have examples relevant to Corid. I could not find density for Corid info but if carrier / dispersant used in Corid known then job would be easier. My Corid is 80% carrier by weight. Also note reference to loosely and tightly packed corn starch.

Looking into MSDS referenced on package is advised. When using this stuff off label we get into realm where info needed for smaller lots requires a little digging.

Back
Top Bottom