Coccidiosis

Sorry, I missed your reply, my bad, you did point that out!

-Kathy
After checking between Corid and Amprol,the dosage information given for the Corid is the 0.012% moderate outbreak. The dose amounts are pretty close between the two. Also Corid site at the bottom of information you had posted,it says expected consumption is 2 gallons per 100 lbs of weight,this the difference. For chickens,dose is listed per gallon,that is for all chickens,not one individual chicken. I calculated all doses they do work out,now my head hurts. lol

After checking between Corid and Amprol,the dosage information given for the Corid is the 0.012% moderate outbreak. The dose amounts are pretty close between the two. Also Corid site at the bottom of information you had posted,it says expected consumption is 2 gallons per 100 lbs of weight,this the difference. For chickens,dose is listed per gallon,that is for all chickens,not one individual chicken. I calculated all doses they do work out,now my head hurts. lol
oh no, now you need meds
gig.gif
take two asprin and call someone in the morning? I don't know who you would call for that though?
gig.gif

For those of you with Corid or Amprol powder, what food item is it most like? Sugar? Flour? Corn starch?

-Kathy

5 Months old I would assume, you already have them on the ground. ( In a run on actual ground )  If you haven't had cocci in your flock, they most likely have already built up an immunity to it and you shouldn't have a problem. It's usually the younger birds, those that are going from brooder to coop, to run, and getting their first exposure to cocci, that have less of an immune system, that have the problems with an overload. That being said, sometimes, an older bird CAN get an overload and get sick, but it is usually sick birds, or very stressed birds, or birds that have come in contact with a strain that they haven't built an immunity to. If they were my birds? I would just keep and eye on them, and if you see signs of cocci, and they are NOT hard to miss if you know what you are looking for, then treat asap. You can keep some corrid on hand. It isn't cheap though. So the decision is yours, but long term treatment, can cause problems as corrid is a thiamine blocker...that is what the cocci, a parasite, feed on...The east coast is having a big problem because we have had an unusually wet summer...perfect breeding grounds for all parasites!

Thanks for the info. Yes they are on the ground, in coup at night, free range during the day. I'll just watch them as usual- nothin better than watching chicken peck the ground. ! :)

Just finished part one of my experiment... 3.5 tablespoons of a corn starch weighs 27.76 grams (.979 ounces) on my scale, so the information from the two links I provided is correct. Next I will repeat the experiment with baking sugar and regular sugar.

-Kathy

Edited to add: Will post pictures later.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom