Coccidiosis

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tami1024, May 27, 2013.

1. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Flock Master Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I don't like to get into contests about dosages. I went to the Corid website and found nothing about chickens or chicken dosages. My dosage comes from quoting other knowledgable people (such as Dawg53 and others) on BYC. This medication is used off-label like many others we use for our chickens. If you have info to share from the Corid manufacturer, by all means, print it here, and I will follow their directions. There just seem to be too many people quoting the dosages that seem too weak to me. The problem with all of these meds is that the drug companies don't put the dosages out there, and the educational sites on the web don't talk about it either.

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I'm on the stupid iPad right now, so when I get to a proper computer I will post the link. :D

-Kathy

3. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Now I'm really confused after seeing the second link...I can get my calculator out to figure the liquid, but the powder would be 2 teaspoonsful, and I have only heard to use 1/2 tsp per gallon. 1/3 of an ounce is approximately 10cc or 2 tsp. Help Fred!
    The liquid is 9.6 ml to a gallon or 4 liters to be exact to give a 9.6 % solution, which is close enough to 2 tsp.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
  4. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    The info i have is for Amprolium 9.6% dosage give 0.012% 8 oz(48 tsp)per 50 gallons - moderate outbreak, 0.024% 16 oz(96 tsp)per 50 gallons - severe outbreak, 0.006% 4 oz (24 tsp) per 50 gallons maintenance. Roughly 1 tsp per gallon for moderate,2 tsp(actual approx.1.93 tsp) per gallon for severe outbreak, 1/2 tsp per gallon maintenance(1-2 weeks).

5. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  6. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I don't know about most people, but if I thought I had cocci in my flock, I would use the severe outbreak dose, LOL.

7. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

More is better, lol.

-Kathy

8. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

In the end? It comes down to experience.

We never, ever had coccidiosis here. Ever.

Then? This spring was horribly slow in coming. Wet, cool and odd. Wouldn't you know it, we had cocci outbreak for the very first time. There are, as you know, 8 or 9 strains, so it isn't just ONE thing. They morph. They adapt. They change and they are carried about the planet by migrating birds. The stuff this early summer in the northlands, here and right on up through eastern Canada was VIRULENT. Deadly as all get out. The strain went right through medicated feed like it was a joke. I'll never buy medicated feed again. Waste of time.

Corid water. 1/3 to 1/2 teaspoon per gallon. Knocks it out NOW, but the chicks have to actually drink it. Droppers are sometimes necessary if the situation is dire. I wouldn't worry about whether it is this micro difference in the formulas. Come on. Just put 1/2 teaspoon of the 20% powder and get it into your birds or they die. It's that simple. Some of these strains kill so fast that while I'm scratching head over meaningless differentials in precise dosing, I've lost 20 chicks, bled out and dead, and often these are irreplaceable, rare, heritage, breeder chicks.

Yogurt or raw milk, straight from the goat or cow is also soothing. NO VITAMINS during treatment. You're working against the med. Corid ie, amprolium, works by starving thiamine from the cysts in the gut. Don't feed the cysts vitamins, for heaven's sake. Serve corid water for 8 days. Take a week off and if you're even the least bit concerned, run them through a second 6 days of follow up. Amprolium is fairly innocuous to the bird. It's not an anti-biotic. You can even feed amprolium in small doses to hens and eat their eggs. I don't, but it shows how relatively innocuous Corid is.

No offense intended by my rather "forth right" talk here, but I'm a wee bit sensitive. I lost some irreplaceable chicks to death so I'm not particularly in any mood to use my more politically correct tone here. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
  9. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

Ten Chicks, do you have a source for that?

Thinking outloud... If I take the 8 ounces and divide it by 50, that's .16 ounces per gallon. Then when I convert .16 ounces to ml, it's 4.7ish ml, which is pretty darn close to 5ml (amount recommended by Corid) and 4.7ish times 2 is almost exactly 9.5ml, which is the amount most poultry people use.

If I have made any errors, which I often do, please correct me!:D

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by