cochin bantam cockerel - color change???

Mojo Chick'n

Empress of Chickenville
11 Years
Mar 8, 2008
Republic of Chickenville
Hey all -

I have a bantam cochin cockerel, who I thought was white
smile.png

But he has gotten a few (three or so) green feathers in his tail that look like Columbian coloring. His hackles are cream or buff (really washed out buff) with tiny black specks at the ends of the hackle feathers - could be be getting different colors because he isn't that old? Are they born pretty much the coloring they will end up as? I am new to cochins, can ya tell?
big_smile.png

Will he (in your opinion) get more green feathers in his tail? Or haven't you any clue. I figure he is probably some mixed colored birds (dif color mama and papa), but like I said, I am new to cochins, so I don't know.

Here's some pics -

P0003160.jpg

P0003162.jpg

P0003161.jpg

P0003169.jpg

Thanks -
Meriah

My banty cochins are still babies, but my mutt roo is about 15 weeks and still changing color. How old is your roo?

Krista

Quote:
Not sure, I PM'd Cindy to find out, waiting on a reply on that - I am thinking maybe 4 or 5 months?

ETA I have a trio of blacks that are much heavier looking than he is, so I am guessing he is a lot younger - they are more round - look like feathered soccer balls, LOL ya can't even see their feet hardly
lol.png
(the roo is in my avatar - I think he is what they call a red black - has red hackles - he is VERY handsome)

Meriah

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
He is pure cochin bantam - not sure of the color mix he has in him, though. I hope he gets some more columbian coloring, he is very pretty - I'm gonna match him up with Nana (my baby - she's a black).

Meriah

Being a newbie I was very overwhelmed that day and all I know is they are less than a year old but forgot to ask exactly how old. I got them at the State fair...Them and 3 others(me and Meri lost the two girls, they were very bony when we got them) I bought with them were in the same cage. One is also a buff male. My white male is just like Meri's except he also has one or two buff/red tail feathers along with a couple black ones, but his neck feathers are the same light buff or lemon color.

ETA: Yes they are pure Cochin, no mix. At least that is what the seller told me. I believe him, several of the folks there knew him.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom