Cochin Bantams and Frizzle Cochin Bantams!!

Oh man I am so in love and so scared I am not going to be able to keep if a roo. I am so upset this little one has stolen my hart. The day go's as follows. Outside till it gets hot around 11am come into the kitchen were a jungle gym of sorts has become a favorite, while three little dogs watch and wait for living room play time. Excitement for a rice a roni box shaking means afternoon snack time to be followed by a nap then it is back outside again 7 to 9 pm or until pacing back and forth to show it is time for bed, so back inside to garage cage to perch on favorite pillow and mother moose stuffed protector and for a more comfortable sleep a night gown is draped over to cover oh so gently just to have the silkie room mate sing everyone to sleep. So as you can guess I am going to be a mess if this little one starts to crow
1f62d.png

Last edited:
Blue gene is not recessive, two doses of Blues gives you splash, 1 Blue gene + 1 Black gene gives you a Blue bird. This EE hen has Blue where the black should be on the lacing so she is caring both genes plus tons of other color genetics...

So Blue carrier + Black bird gets you Blue & Blacks, but a Blue + a Blue gives you black, blues and splash birds.
smile.png
That's is about all I know.
Sounds good to me! Genetics just confuses me, esp. with so many colors out there.
th.gif

Oh man I am so in love and so scared I am not going to be able to keep if a roo. I am so upset this little one has stolen my hart. The day go's as follows. Outside till it gets hot around 11am come into the kitchen were a jungle gym of sorts has become a favorite, while three little dogs watch and wait for living room play time. Excitement for a rice a roni box shaking means afternoon snack time to be followed by a nap then it is back outside again 7 to 9 pm or until pacing back and forth to show it is time for bed, so back inside to garage cage to perch on favorite pillow and mother moose stuffed protector and for a more comfortable sleep a night gown is draped over to cover oh so gently just to have the silkie room mate sing everyone to sleep. So as you can guess I am going to be a mess if this little one starts to crow
1f62d.png

How old? Also, it appears the beak is a bit on the long side, although it could just be the picture angle. You may need to watch that and possibly file it down a bit to help it eat.

Sounds good to me! Genetics just confuses me, esp. with so many colors out there.
th.gif
Well I am stil learning and I forget things or mix them up still... so websites to help breeders are a god send for us all. Oh and different breeds use different terms for the same colors! SO there is tons of jargon to soak up... and get utterly confused by. So don't feel bad, I'm right there with going
barnie.gif

Oh wow I will look at the beak but he she is about 3mo old
Well, this is my first round with a batch of Cochins but in my experience with other breeds, the girls don't go red until they are close to point of lay. That varies by breed but I think I remember reading the average is 24 weeks.

I still can't see the beak very well in the pic but if the top beak extends over and below the bottom beak, some trimming might be in order. I had a silkie that had the beak grow like that. I've heard it called hook or parrot beak. For some reason it over grows, especially as the bird is maturing. It slowed down on mine when she was older but she still needed it filed down occasionally.

Well, this is my first round with a batch of Cochins but in my experience with other breeds, the girls don't go red until they are close to point of lay.  That varies by breed but I think I remember reading the average is 24 weeks.  

I still can't see the beak very well in the pic but if the top beak extends over and below the bottom beak, some trimming might be in order.  I had a silkie that had the beak grow like that.  I've heard it called hook or parrot beak.  For some reason it over grows, especially as the bird is maturing.  It slowed down on mine when she was older but she still needed it filed down occasionally.
Thank you so much I will wait till I have back up he
1f635.png
is sweet but not to excited about gooming lol

Back
Top Bottom