Cochin Bantams and Frizzle Cochin Bantams!!

I have a question for my fellow bantam cochin owers...at what age do they stop laying eggs? My girl is 3 years old and has slowed down over the last year(stopped for molt and winter of course) She is a pet..not for eggs so asking to see what is typical and healthy
smile.png

All birds are most productive the first two years of laying. They generally slow down after that.

Ok...thats my girl! Just want to know for overall chick health
smile.png
What is the average life span for bantam cochins...any idea? My girl has had a couple of issues with fluid in her belly and infection. First time drained the fluid, gave anitibiotics and she was back to normal in a week, We just had that done again a couple days ago, so hoping to see her back to normal in a few days! We ADORE her!!!
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/823213/bantam-cochins-club/750#

Last edited:
Hey everyone! I am new to cochins and decided to go with the bantam variety. Gold laced was always my first choice. I just thought they were so interesting and unique. Now, I have a dilemma. I have a beautiful (in my opinion) hen. She is about 3-4 months old. I know she isn't perfect in body form. So, I want to find the best fit rooster, same feather type but better in body form. Here are some pictures of my girl. Any critiques on her will help in looking for a good rooster.

She's beautiful! Not an expert either, but I would say her feathering isn't loose enough, and her 'butt cushion' isn't full or fluffy enough. She has a profile more like that of a regular chicken, rather than the rounded profile they look for in cochins. I want to say her lacing isn't *quite* as defined as it should be, but that's more a question for someone who specializes in that variety.

She's beautiful! Not an expert either, but I would say her feathering isn't loose enough, and her 'butt cushion' isn't full or fluffy enough. She has a profile more like that of a regular chicken, rather than the rounded profile they look for in cochins. I want to say her lacing isn't *quite* as defined as it should be, but that's more a question for someone who specializes in that variety.

That pretty much sums up what I thought about her appearance. Although she is prettier than I thought she would be. When she started getting her feathers they were very dark and the gold was more of a pin strip than anything else. So she has improved considerably since then. The problem, now, is finding a rooster that meets or exceeds the standard of perfection. No one around here breeds cochins. And, hardly anyone breeds for show unless the animals are useful for the farm as well.
idunno.gif

I am going to look at an 8week old golden lace cochin and bkack bantam cochin this afternoon.
Any pointers on what I should look for?! I am very new to chickens and have Polish and know they are not "broody" so was thinking a cochin would be a good broody chicken to add to the group!

Back
Top Bottom