Cochin Bantams and Frizzle Cochin Bantams!!

Pics
Mine love to be handled at all ages. Chicks will hop on top of waterers etc doing the me first me first when the lid is lifted on the brooder. My cock bird will run up if i sit in a chair and hop on my lap to be"petted" and wants to be the helper and see what i am doing all the time. I think a lot depends on if people raised or broody raised, ie who they believe is Mama. I would agree with jajeanpierre that double copy or frazzle birds would not like to be held because they have feather pain issues.

There are some slight differences in Pekins and Cochins that serious breeders would be able to detail out (that would not be me), however they are from similar background but called Pekin in Europe and Australia, but to all of us regular joe chicken lovers they are pretty much the same.

I like Pekins more for some odd reason
tongue.png
. I love bantams, do you think if I treat them well and handle them they'd get attached to me?
big_smile.png

So, is it only when they are growing? That is odd, when I had chicks they didn't mind being held.

A growing feather has blood and nerves in it and you can cause a lot of pain if these blood feathers are mishandled.

You can hurt a bird by mishandling even mature feathers. Chickens might not complain, but if you mess with a parrot's feathers and you hurt them they let you know and can bite you. The primary feathers are imbedded right in the bone. I don't know about chickens, but other birds have the feathers in the wings connected to the respiratory system. I would think chickens do as well. If you have a bird under anesthetic and pull out a primary feather or cut it close to the skin, you will have anesthetic leaking into the operating room.

A growing feather has blood and nerves in it and you can cause a lot of pain if these blood feathers are mishandled.

You can hurt a bird by mishandling even mature feathers. Chickens might not complain, but if you mess with a parrot's feathers and you hurt them they let you know and can bite you. The primary feathers are imbedded right in the bone. I don't know about chickens, but other birds have the feathers in the wings connected to the respiratory system. I would think chickens do as well. If you have a bird under anesthetic and pull out a primary feather or cut it close to the skin, you will have anesthetic leaking into the operating room.

Oh no!!!
hit.gif
I never knew they were so sensitive!
hide.gif
Are they still okay to handle?

I like Pekins more for some odd reason
tongue.png
. I love bantams, do you think if I treat them well and handle them they'd get attached to me?
big_smile.png

Yes--lap chickens--see :)

With my day old chicks i start by just putting my hand in the brooder box for a while --they are naturally curious and will come check it out. Then by week old they are all trying to "roost" in my hand and from there the competition is on until they get to the point of hopping up on my shoulder or going for a ride in my jacket hood. Around here they are pretty much like puppies wanting to play and are definitely the biggest personalities.

Yes--lap chickens--see :)

With my day old chicks i start by just putting my hand in the brooder box for a while --they are naturally curious and will come check it out. Then by week old they are all trying to "roost" in my hand and from there the competition is on until they get to the point of hopping up on my shoulder or going for a ride in my jacket hood. Around here they are pretty much like puppies wanting to play and are definitely the biggest personalities.

Aw! I can not WAIT to get some! Nothing will change my mind!
wee.gif

A frizzle hen and the smooth male I bred her too. One of the pullets from the breeding was 4th best White Frizzle at the ABA Nationals in Dec 2013 and pictured in the show cage at home before she was washed for the show
This is my newest frizzle below. Just washed up for a show

A good Black pullet. Nice/proper wing carry

Last edited:
A frizzle hen and the smooth male I bred her too. One of the pullets from the breeding was 4th best White Frizzle at the ABA Nationals in Dec 2013 and pictured in the show cage at home before she was washed for the show
This is my newest frizzle below. Just washed up for a show

A good Black pullet. Nice/proper wing carry

Oh, they're beautiful!!!
Your white looks just like my Snoodle. She's in my avi.
I want a roo and more colors.
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom