Cochin Bantams and Frizzle Cochin Bantams!!

Pics
Thanks!
I am really enjoying making the Frizzle MFs.
Someone showed me some a few years ago and I had a fit for one so I made my own with a bit of work.
I can see way too many breeding pens of these in my future. I have 4 empty pens at the moment and plan to clear out more. And by pens I mean ones that are 4x6 tractors or bigger.

When you say their feet are not yellow are you talking about the top and leg or are you talking about the bottom of the foot?  Standards call for yellow OR swarthy yellow for feet and toes. The legs and toes on most SQ Blacks are a swarthy yellow but the ones that do very well in a show pen are usually yellow on the bottom of the foot. Those birds are all too young for laying of eggs to have changed the foot/skin color which does happen. 

Unless YOU bought the birds directly from Pilot Mountainside Poultry they did not come from there. It is only hearsay in my opinion. Good foot color can be determined at birth. It is safe to feed a little corn supplement to Blacks for foot and skin color and not hurt the plumage in anyway. Direct sunlight is hard on almost all feathers. It can turn White birds yellow, Blue birds rusty, and is generally not good.

Please take pictures and post them. The best pictures are from bird level and from several angles to get an overall feel for the bird if you want a real critique on anything. The reason I said that if you did not buy from Pilot Mountain they are not is this reasoning. I may sell some SQ birds to a person. They raise chicks out of them. Those are not my birds. I did not make the pairings. I may have sold good birds that are not  a good breeding match because both have the same faults. The parent stock may be from my lines but they are not my birds. It is possible that I would have never let those chicks off the place.

ill have pics probably tomorrow i conformed from pilot mountain that this person got some from her him but that still doesnt mean these r from there

ok so they actually look better than I thought they have some yellow in their feet and beaks and I saw the roo mount a frizzle so they r getting close I have been feeding the calf manna so that's probably helped a lot it slipped my mind that cohins like roosting lol my silkies just pile uup and I learned frizzles cant fly so I like them

Has anyone ever raised Old English Golden Duckwings? I got some because they where bantams and they seemed different. I was curious of their traits.

Has anyone ever raised Old English Golden Duckwings? I got some because they where bantams and they seemed different. I was curious of their traits.

You may find a thread for that breed on the BYC site but this is a thread for bantam Cochins and Frizzles. Go out into the forum to find the category for Breeds, Genetics and Showing and search through there. It may actually be at the top above this forum where you can click into it.

I'm brand new to chickens and have three hatchery 5-month old frizzled bantam Cochins.

Two seem to be double copy for the frizzle gene because their feathers are fragile, thin and scarce. The third has wonderful plumage. I've noticed a skin problem on all, some worse than others. Their feet and the underside of the tail of one of the sparsely feathered birds have what looks like a rash. I bathed the birds today and took pictures of the most affected bird. He was wet at the time so you can see the problem better. My thoughts lean towards some sort of folliculitis or sensitivity to the pine chip bedding. They are housed in a 10 x 6 dog exercise pen during the day that is moved around for fresh grass and a small dog ex-pen in my garage at night. I'm still waiting (and waiting and waiting) for my husband to build something that can house them outside. They don't have perches at night (waiting for the coop!) but I'll put some in today and see if that helps. The bedding is kept quite clean and is dry (no food or water in their night pen). I'm in south-central Texas, so it is hot and dry. The two most affected are housed with five other Silkie cockerels who will be going to freezer camp when I grow a backbone. The least affected, the pullet, is housed with other pullets from the same order. She is the least affected. None of the Silkies have ever shown this problem. Originally, I was intending to send all the cockerels to freezer camp, but I am really quite fond of one of the frizzle cockerels and the other is just the silliest bird and have decide that I'll keep him around as well. Since they aren't going to freezer camp, I really do need to do something about this. Thank you for any advice.

(Note: The feathers are wet from a bath.)

This bottom picture is of the underside of his tail. Again, the feathers are wet from a bath. The bird is lying on his belly with the tail pulled up so you can see the redness.

I'm brand new to chickens and have three hatchery 5-month old frizzled bantam Cochins.

Two seem to be double copy for the frizzle gene because their feathers are fragile, thin and scarce. The third has wonderful plumage. I've noticed a skin problem on all, some worse than others. Their feet and the underside of the tail of one of the sparsely feathered birds have what looks like a rash. I bathed the birds today and took pictures of the most affected bird. He was wet at the time so you can see the problem better. My thoughts lean towards some sort of folliculitis or sensitivity to the pine chip bedding. They are housed in a 10 x 6 dog exercise pen during the day that is moved around for fresh grass and a small dog ex-pen in my garage at night. I'm still waiting (and waiting and waiting) for my husband to build something that can house them outside. They don't have perches at night (waiting for the coop!) but I'll put some in today and see if that helps. The bedding is kept quite clean and is dry (no food or water in their night pen). I'm in south-central Texas, so it is hot and dry. The two most affected are housed with five other Silkie cockerels who will be going to freezer camp when I grow a backbone. The least affected, the pullet, is housed with other pullets from the same order. She is the least affected. None of the Silkies have ever shown this problem. Originally, I was intending to send all the cockerels to freezer camp, but I am really quite fond of one of the frizzle cockerels and the other is just the silliest bird and have decide that I'll keep him around as well. Since they aren't going to freezer camp, I really do need to do something about this. Thank you for any advice.

This bottom picture is of the underside of his tail. Again, the feathers are wet from a bath. The bird is lying on his belly with the tail pulled up so you can see the redness.
I don't have any experience in this matter but I have seen on line during some researching about a mite that gets under their skin...try researching that. I know there is a medicine...I've used on a girl that like to pluck herself...Blue Kote....for just about anything skin related! sorry that's my experience with any illness

Quote: oh and please let me know what you figure out so I too can learn! thank you
big_smile.png

I have seen this on some of my birds and it seems to correspond to new feather growth. The sheath on those feathers signify to me that those birds are growing new feathers. I think when they are done molting perhaps the redness that is concerning you will disappear.

Back
Top Bottom