Cochin Bantams and Frizzle Cochin Bantams!!

Pics
I'm brand new to chickens and have three hatchery 5-month old frizzled bantam Cochins.

Two seem to be double copy for the frizzle gene because their feathers are fragile, thin and scarce. The third has wonderful plumage. I've noticed a skin problem on all, some worse than others. Their feet and the underside of the tail of one of the sparsely feathered birds have what looks like a rash. I bathed the birds today and took pictures of the most affected bird. He was wet at the time so you can see the problem better. My thoughts lean towards some sort of folliculitis or sensitivity to the pine chip bedding. They are housed in a 10 x 6 dog exercise pen during the day that is moved around for fresh grass and a small dog ex-pen in my garage at night. I'm still waiting (and waiting and waiting) for my husband to build something that can house them outside. They don't have perches at night (waiting for the coop!) but I'll put some in today and see if that helps. The bedding is kept quite clean and is dry (no food or water in their night pen). I'm in south-central Texas, so it is hot and dry. The two most affected are housed with five other Silkie cockerels who will be going to freezer camp when I grow a backbone. The least affected, the pullet, is housed with other pullets from the same order. She is the least affected. None of the Silkies have ever shown this problem. Originally, I was intending to send all the cockerels to freezer camp, but I am really quite fond of one of the frizzle cockerels and the other is just the silliest bird and have decide that I'll keep him around as well. Since they aren't going to freezer camp, I really do need to do something about this. Thank you for any advice.

(Note: The feathers are wet from a bath.)

This bottom picture is of the underside of his tail. Again, the feathers are wet from a bath. The bird is lying on his belly with the tail pulled up so you can see the redness.
Looks like your birds probably have mites - Hope you washed them with Adams Flea & Tick Shampoo.

I'm brand new to chickens and have three hatchery 5-month old frizzled bantam Cochins.

Two seem to be double copy for the frizzle gene because their feathers are fragile, thin and scarce. The third has wonderful plumage. I've noticed a skin problem on all, some worse than others. Their feet and the underside of the tail of one of the sparsely feathered birds have what looks like a rash. I bathed the birds today and took pictures of the most affected bird. He was wet at the time so you can see the problem better. My thoughts lean towards some sort of folliculitis or sensitivity to the pine chip bedding. They are housed in a 10 x 6 dog exercise pen during the day that is moved around for fresh grass and a small dog ex-pen in my garage at night. I'm still waiting (and waiting and waiting) for my husband to build something that can house them outside. They don't have perches at night (waiting for the coop!) but I'll put some in today and see if that helps. The bedding is kept quite clean and is dry (no food or water in their night pen). I'm in south-central Texas, so it is hot and dry. The two most affected are housed with five other Silkie cockerels who will be going to freezer camp when I grow a backbone. The least affected, the pullet, is housed with other pullets from the same order. She is the least affected. None of the Silkies have ever shown this problem. Originally, I was intending to send all the cockerels to freezer camp, but I am really quite fond of one of the frizzle cockerels and the other is just the silliest bird and have decide that I'll keep him around as well. Since they aren't going to freezer camp, I really do need to do something about this. Thank you for any advice.

(Note: The feathers are wet from a bath.)

This bottom picture is of the underside of his tail. Again, the feathers are wet from a bath. The bird is lying on his belly with the tail pulled up so you can see the redness.
Mites! Hope you washed them with Flea & Tick Shampoo....

For those of you using these small tractors or breeding pens do you leave the birds in them at night? Do you have some kind of building attached to protect the birds? I made a couple of 4x12 tractors but I haven't figured out how to give some protection at night.

Most all of mine stay in their tractors at night. I have one or two groups that I may take inside the brooder room or shed if their pen is not critter proof. I do have 2 LGDs, one chained near the woods (he likes to kill my chickens) so he can warn the other one if anything creeps out while she is patrolling.

http://www.westknollfarm.com/housing.html

So..here is my dumb question: What is the difference between Calico & Millie Fleur?

Here are some pictures of my bantam Cochin. Some from West Knoll Farm, some from Lucky Pickins ( blue & molted) and some from Chicken Junkie. :)

So..here is my dumb question: What is the difference between Calico & Millie Fleur? Here are some pictures of my bantam Cochin. Some from West Knoll Farm, some from Lucky Pickins ( blue & molted) and some from Chicken Junkie. :)
hey beth weve talked on facebook before about ur cochins i love them so much and my next go around wiyh some eggs will probably be yours

hey beth weve talked on facebook before about ur cochins i love them so much and my next go around wiyh some eggs will probably be yours

oh and im pretty sure callie has more moltted in it

thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom