Cochin Bantams and Frizzle Cochin Bantams!!

Pics
Somebody else will have to chime in on that. I'm not a good judge of what is or isn't. I thought we took a calico to the fair and the judge said she was a MF.

Somebody else will have to chime in on that. I'm not a good judge of what is or isn't. I thought we took a calico to the fair and the judge said she was a MF.

lol.png
Me neither ! I will get some better pics and post, maybe someone can chime in. Thanks
smile.png

Try this group https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/571812/calico-cochin-thread

And at fairs and shows, mille fleur cochins and calico cochins (mille fleur cochin with too much white to be called mille fleur) would be entered as AOV - Any Other Variety
it has more to do with the pattern of the color than the color itself, calicos will have the 3 colors but not showing any pattern of the vermillion base black chevron white tip, calicos tend to have many solid color feathers or (to borrow from splash terms ) "blobs" of color. Since its still a project for everyone i think there are a lot that could fall either way right now and thats where everyone gets confused but calicos do seem to have more white to them also

I think it has more to do with the hens and roos themselves. I have run pens of both with usually 4 to 6 hens and one roo and run as many as 6 pens at a time for 6 months. Some pairs just produce better together.
My Shazam produces on average, almost 80% frizzled. Steel is closer to 60% on the lesser side.

I thought I knew the answer to this question but now I don't know. If you have a smooth chick that came from a frizzle hen do they carry the frizzle gene? The reason I'm asking is because I currently have a smooth rooster over three smooth hens that are laying and hatched chicks that look like they are frizzles. I know the breeder I got my stock from had at least one frizzle hen in her breeding pen. I also have 4 frizzle hens in the same coop but they are only 3 months old so I can't imagine they would be laying yet. Any ideas?

Back
Top Bottom