Cochin Bantams and Frizzle Cochin Bantams!!

Pics
I ordered chicks and received them last week. 2 are supposed to be blue but I really can't tell which they might be. They look quite dark, I guess like the splashed and splashed which I am not sure of either. I am afraid some are going to be slow feather growers. Most are just beginning to get a few flight feathers.
The first bantam Cochin roo I ever had I hated. I gave him away finally and decided I never wanted any more. I have now decided I would like to try a few again. I had frizzles last fall and loved their feathers so I now have 4.
I really like my d"Uccles the best of any breed I have ever had, but willing to give the Cochin bantams another try....

I ordered chicks and received them last week. 2 are supposed to be blue but I really can't tell which they might be. They look quite dark, I guess like the splashed and splashed which I am not sure of either. I am afraid some are going to be slow feather growers. Most are just beginning to get a few flight feathers.
The first bantam Cochin roo I ever had I hated. I gave him away finally and decided I never wanted any more. I have now decided I would like to try a few again. I had frizzles last fall and loved their feathers so I now have 4.
I really like my d"Uccles the best of any breed I have ever had, but willing to give the Cochin bantams another try....

Lol I have 10 cochin bantam roos that all live in the same coop. All respect me but do have a peckin order among them.

This one attacked me every time he could. I didn't get him until he was about half grown.
Instead of splashed and splashed in my post above...I meant splashed and silver penciled.

My mottled bantam cockerel has never tried anything. He will gaurd "his" girl, but I just push him away and grab her and he follows, Like where am I taking her? He is in a pen with himself,his girl, a LF polish, and two LF white rocks. One of which is an easy 10lb rooster. they get along great too.

Lol I have 10 cochin bantam roos that all live in the same coop. All respect me but do have a peckin order among them.

I've had a couple of cochin cockerels. My oldest is 11 months. He's a double copy frizzle and is a bit of a nervous bird, I think because he is frazzled (I've read that about them). He's just a nice bird, though. Really quite sweet. The other frizzle cockerel was killed by a dog when he was 6 months old, and I loved that bird. He would let me maul him like a doll. I could have dressed him up in doll clothes, carried him around like a baby and he would have been happy. He was the top roo in my bachelor pen and started titbitting for the other chickens at just a few months old. The Silkies cockerels I had with the two Cochins were all horrors except for one. They bit really hard and would go after me to bite. The horrors ended up in freezer camp, but I still have the other nice Silkie cockerel. He's pet quality, but a nice enough soul, so why not keep him around?

idunno.gif

Last edited:
Nicely feathered frizzles come from frizzled/non-frizzled breedings.

Frizzles are no more nervous than any other chicken if they are handled enough.

As in any chicken, they need enough space, a dry clean pen, good feed and protection from predators.
My frizzle was not nervous at all--he was a wonderful bird. It is the two double-copy frizzles that are not easy to handle. I have two double-copied frizzles (no I didn't breed them, I bought them as frizzles, but the idiot who set up the breeding pens obviously had frizzles breeding with frizzles).

I guess "nervous" was not the best choice of words but the two double-copy frizzles--I think everyone calls them frazzles--are really difficult to handle. They are a bit more nervous than any of the other birds. They struggle when held and I honestly believe it is because, for whatever reason, they get hurt when handled. I'm really gentle, too, but they fight really hard even when I have them on my hand with their legs pinned between my fingers and my hand over their pathetic little wings. They fight really hard, and are a challenge to hold.

The proper frizzle Cochin and the two smooth Cochins are quite docile when handled, nothing like trying to hold onto the frazzles. I believe that for whatever reason, the deformity of their feathers causes them pain either in the skin, the underlying tissues or the follicles of the feathers. Something is different about these double-copy frizzle birds.

Back
Top Bottom