Cochin Bantams and Frizzle Cochin Bantams!!

Yeah, looking at the pictures of your cockerel makes me lean toward cockerel more.
I hope she's been hiding eggs. I hope she disappears in a week or so, then comes back with a half a dozen or so little peeps in tow!!!!
If she's hiding eggs, she hasn't convinced the other hens to hide theirs with hers, so they'll all be Banty eggs. I'm getting the right number of the right color of eggs considering the sex hens I have.

No, I think she is a pullet. She doesn't have any cockerel/rooster feathering. My little pullet grew quite a large comb after she had been laying awhile. Either she is just getting ready to lay or is hiding her eggs. All kinds of things go into laying--diet, protein level and light level. She might have been too young in the fall and is waiting to get more sunlight before she starts laying. Have you looked at her vent? A laying hen will have a very different vent than one that isn't laying.

No, I think she is a pullet. She doesn't have any cockerel/rooster feathering. My little pullet grew quite a large comb after she had been laying awhile. Either she is just getting ready to lay or is hiding her eggs. All kinds of things go into laying--diet, protein level and light level. She might have been too young in the fall and is waiting to get more sunlight before she starts laying. Have you looked at her vent? A laying hen will have a very different vent than one that isn't laying.

It's good to know that your pullet's comb got larger after she started laying.

Her diet is good; fermented "all natural" layer crumbles and she free ranges; we're getting enough light that I'm getting minimum 5 eggs a week from my gold Comets (the breed I have that's closest in laying habits to Cochin). She was a bit young in the fall, but there were other factors; I had been free ranging the chickens and didn't realize they weren't going to be able to do that in the fall/winter (in Fla
hmm.png
Ugh), so I had to figure out their feed, and I built them a new coop, which upset their laying too.

I have looked at her vent. When I checked it right around New Year's, it was tight and dry. When I checked it the other week, it was supple and "open" (not open, like gaping into her insides, but just kind of what I've heard called "open"). It looks like a laying hen's vent.
What does a sexually active rooster's vent look like?

I hope she's hiding eggs. I put her in the brooder for three days a week or so ago, when I'd checked her vent, and she didn't lay me anything. I'll admit that she didn't like being in the brooder and she didn't like not being able to go truck around the yard with the other chickens, but she wasn't stressed. So, IDK what's going on.

Back
Top Bottom