Cochin Bantams and Frizzle Cochin Bantams!!

I love her. I have 3 of her daughters as well that I have hatched. It's hard to believe she's nearly 2 years old but every chick I get from her gets better and better!!

Fantastic!!!
clap.gif
So happy for you! =D

he is up and about.
love.gif

IdontneedtohatchmoreIdontneedtohatchmoreIdontneedtohatchmore...

I'm having a serious deer problem. I never in my life thought I could wish ill on something as cute as a deer, but they are tearing things down to get at my feed. They are dangerous, too. My neighbor, bless their hearts, have a deer feeder set up about 100 feet from my chicken pens. There is a severe deer overpopulation, so they are all drawn to my neighbor's feeder and hang out in my yard. One doe and her sidekick are not afraid and are quite aggressive. I want to make it impossible for her to eat my chicken feed so she isn't hanging around my house so much. I saw a design on BYC for a feed bucket where someone used plastic plumbing elbows to make a feeder where the chickens had to put their head into this elbow to get the food in the bucket. They had to reach in far enough that there wasn't any waste. It might work for the deer during the day and then I'll just hoist it up in a tree at night. Does anyone have a link to those plans?

Last edited:
I'm having a serious deer problem. I never in my life thought I could wish ill on something as cute as a deer, but they are tearing things down to get at my feed. They are dangerous, too. My neighbor, bless their hearts, have a deer feeder set up about 100 feet from my chicken pens. There is a severe deer overpopulation, so they are all drawn to my neighbor's feeder and hang out in my yard. One doe and her sidekick are not afraid and are quite aggressive. I want to make it impossible for her to eat my chicken feed so she isn't hanging around my house so much. I saw a design on BYC for a feed bucket where someone used plastic plumbing elbows to make a feeder where the chickens had to put their head into this elbow to get the food in the bucket. They had to reach in far enough that there wasn't any waste. It might work for the deer during the day and then I'll just hoist it up in a tree at night. Does anyone have a link to those plans?

I don't have a link (or picture at the moment) but I just made a set. I went to the Lowes plumbing / irrigation section. I bought 4" PVC tubing (10' was approx. $10) and the 4" PVC couplings (1 - 90 deg. elbow and 1 -45 deg. elbow for the bottom of each feeder; also 1 end cap w/ female screw and screw on plug for the top) The pipe I cut to length with a miter saw but you could you pretty much any saw. I glued all the pieces with blue pipe glue (also in the irrigation section) and let them set for 24 hours before attaching them to the inside of my coop with metal pipe stripping.

ETA: just found the link https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/704443/diy-chicken-feeder-pipe/250#post_11298011

Last edited:
I have been considering doing something like this to keep the mess down. My Layer flock is full of piggies I swear and I feed organic so waste is exspensive. I think this is what you are looking for.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...te-5-gallon-25-feed-bucket-feeder-for-about-3

Creations from years of hard work. White tips, black chevrons and red base feathers. I enjoy my job!

Lovelies like this are crossed back with beauties from this pen. And so on......
Creations from years of hard work, selective breeding, extreme note keeping and research.

Those babies are beautiful. I am hoping I can do the Mille Fleur Color justice.ESpecially since I am piggbacking on the hard work and selection of others.

That is the good part of starting with the good birds! It still takes some careful selecting and a good eye and plenty of luck but you don't have hatchery stock to hold you back as much. Good breeder quality birds make a world of difference though I have some old hatchery stock laying hens that turned 8 years old this year. My hatchery stock breeder birds did not live as long though. And with birds from breeders you should know what is behind them enough to not get surprises, though it will happen on occasion.
I really do love my projects!

That is the good part of starting with the good birds! It still takes some careful selecting and a good eye and plenty of luck but you don't have hatchery stock to hold you back as much. Good breeder quality birds make a world of difference though I have some old hatchery stock laying hens that turned 8 years old this year. My hatchery stock breeder birds did not live as long though. And with birds from breeders you should know what is behind them enough to not get surprises, though it will happen on occasion.
I really do love my projects!
I am very Thankful to you Amy and the small handful of other breeders I have been fortunate enough to buy eggs from and Birds from. It makes it a fun project. Especially since I am just naturally wired to breed and have the desire to improve. :)

Back
Top Bottom