Cochin Banty Roo in fight-Should I snip off dangling wattle?

dawny2u2

Songster
10 Years
Sep 7, 2009
Winston, MT
I read Hennypens topic, rooster fight , and that is what I think happened, I was not home. Here are some pics when I got home, Little Dick (who was the top rooster) had this black goopy comb, I guess I should clean it off and put neosporin on it ( I do not have somewhere to keep him in the house), but also, it looks like his eye is MISSING!
What can I do about that?
40724_032.jpg

40724_033.jpg

40724_024.jpg

I just went out there, and I think, perhaps, that the eye is just closed? Is that what an eye looks like closed? So I should wash it off with warm water, and put neosporin on it? Should I just let the two roos work it out? He has never let me near him, he is obviously stressed, it is hard to see him like this.

Last edited:
Well, I will answer myself here, experience is the best teacher. Yes, it looks like the eye is just swollen shut. There is a lot of tissue in the wattles that was torn, and I put neosporin on it all, cleaned off his feathers and comb with warm water with hydrogen peroxide in it and put neosporin on that too. Just not sure what to do about the eye. Still hoping for some guidance on that.

And, this morning the eye is back open. So that is good, I went in the coop and his two favorite ladies were still on the roost with him. I guess I will continue to put Neosporin with pain reliever on the wounds, and let him be. He is outside now, I do believe the little guy is NOT the top rooster anymore. He got away with it for awhile, that Turken finally realized he is WAY bigger.

Last edited:
Are you certain you should use Neo with Pain Reliever?
Every time I see it mentioned on BYC they caution not to use the type with pain relief.
Just wondering...

Thanks for wondering, I had heard that too on here, and I had a hen with a nail ripped off, and one of the members suggested Neosporin with pain reliever. She said that is an old wives tale. So, I used it. I am doing the best I can, had to seperate the big turken rooster, he is not done with that banty yet, I don't think he'll be happy till he draws more blood. When is enough, enough? When does one say, they aren't working it out? Today is nice, they got to free range, and that darn turken roo WAS STILL not letting the banty move an inch, just walloping on him. So he is in an enclosure now. Not happy either, not sure what to do next.

Last edited:
Some times they never work it out. Those 2 may never be able to coexist. The turken will probably continue until he is able to kill the other one. Roosters will fight to the death.

Thanks, I think the Turken is going to go. My next problem is the bantys ripped wattles, one of the chickens is pulling on him, and hes bleeding. I can't believe he is just sitting there letting her. I KNOW this is bad. So I set up a hospital room in the bathroom, (didn't plan on having chickens in the house) I am going to run out now and get some
blu kote, should I just leave the part thats hanging, hang? I scrambled him up some eggs, some sunflower seeds, yogurt. Anything else to help him heal?

Quote:
I haven't had personal experience w/ it, but I believe one of the mods (speckledhen) lost a roo instantly by using an antibiotic cream or ointment w/ the "caine" pain killer. You may want to ask her about it.

On Neosporin: Please use some, with or without pain reliever in it. Or whatever antibiotic cream or ointment you might have, unless it has a "caine" drug in it. such as benzocaine, cetacaine, novacaine, etc. I have NEVER seen it written not to use Neosporin. My, how myths escalate. There is a myth on here that you should not use the Neosporin that has pain reliever in it. But the pain reliever in Neosporin is not a "caine" drug, it is from a completely different class of drugs, and will not hurt them. I'm getting tired of typing this -- and now the myth shows up not to use Neosporin at all! There are an awful lot of chickens that would be dead but are just fine, thank you, if that were true.

Last edited by ddawn (11/22/2010 3:34 pm
I took this from another post I had about a ripped off toenail. I am trusting that this is good advice. I am still wondering, should I snip off that hanging wattle? I am not good at things like that, but I think that would be better than letting it dangle, easily catching on things. I think a couple days isolated should give him time to close up, he is not interested in eating, so I guess I will see what happens. Here is a pic , you can see that ripped dangling piece there on the right.
40724_004.jpg

Last edited:
I will answer myself, yes I think I should snip off that dangling skin. It seems to be dried up anyhow. Maybe once it gets unattached and blood doesn't flow through it is like a fingernail, dead skin. So, I think I will take it off, continue keeping him in the bathroom until completely healed, and trying to get him to eat. Okay, thats what I think I will do.
And I did, I am sure that was the right thing, it didn't seem to hurt him. Okay .... I feel like I am blogging.
smile.png
I guess I am.
And thanks to Lovemycritters, I was pretty sure this was a situation that would never work out. Appreciate your agreeing.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom