Cochin breeding, genetics, and showing

Pics
I have been noticing that my mottled to mottled breeding chicks turn white and fade faster than my mottled to solid chicks.Have any of you found this to be true? Would this make it preferable to breeding mottled to solid over mottled to mottled even though you will get some solid chicks?

I have been noticing that my mottled to mottled breeding chicks turn white and fade faster than my mottled to solid chicks.Have any of you found this to be true? Would this make it preferable to breeding mottled to solid over mottled to mottled even though you will get some solid chicks?

if you breed mottled/solid you will have split to mottled babies. I breed mottled/mottled, but you have to keep an eye on how much white the breeding pair has. If you have an overmarked bird, you want to breed it to an undermarked bird

I have been doing research on the Brown Large Fowl Cochin and haven't come up with much. I want to bring this variety back. I've had a few tips on where to start. Would anyone here have any other ideas on where to start? Thank you in advance!

I have been doing research on the Brown Large Fowl Cochin and haven't come up with much. I want to bring this variety back. I've had a few tips on where to start. Would anyone here have any other ideas on where to start? Thank you in advance!
have you looked on the cochin breeder's directory? i don't have it linked, sorry but here on byc... i think the brown red is being worked on by a few... i know i've seen lemon blues which are an offshoot of that.

I
have you looked on the cochin breeder's directory?  i don't have it linked, sorry but here on byc...  i think the brown red is being worked on by a few...  i know i've seen lemon blues which are an offshoot of that.

I have. Bo Garrett said he had been working on them. But I was just wondering if anyone else had info on LF brown Cochins.

Is brown chocolate or dun?
When this came up the other day, I told them you were working on chocolate and/or dun, but evidently that is not what they are talking about. Tom R posted a picture of a Brown Leghorn just to let folks see what the color looks like. You might want to post pics of your birds though just so they can see what you have developed.

have you looked on the cochin breeder's directory? i don't have it linked, sorry but here on byc... i think the brown red is being worked on by a few... i know i've seen lemon blues which are an offshoot of that.
Brown red is relatively well developed in bantams, there are a few breeders that have bred their own line and they are very typey and good looking. Because of the nice bantam Brown Reds you will see very nice bantam Lemon Blues. Brown red is still a project color in LF, because of this there are no true LF lemon blues.

Back
Top Bottom