Cochin breeding, genetics, and showing

Pics
I LOVE my Splash bantams. They are the only chickens I raise. I have (in my main pen) 4 Splash hens and a Blue Roo (Cochin Coop lines), and in pen #2 I have an awesome Splash Roo (Cochin Coop) over a Blue hen from Jamie Matts. Here are some pics of my birds:

Are there any plans to have the Splash variety accepted?

:yiipchick I am really excited I got a great deal on some bantam cochins today. They are black split for mottled. There are four cockerels and three pullets. I plan to keep the best trio to breed with my current mottled trio. I was able to buy to whole group for what I might have payed for a cheap pair. So I will just resell those I don't plan to keep. :D So I was really excited.

[IMG

My current trio of siblings I will be breeding them with.

Last edited:
love.gif
Wow!! The really are beautiful!
I LOVE my Splash bantams. They are the only chickens I raise. I have (in my main pen) 4 Splash hens and a Blue Roo (Cochin Coop lines), and in pen #2 I have an awesome Splash Roo (Cochin Coop) over a Blue hen from Jamie Matts. Here are some pics of my birds:

I would like to know more about the whites. Mostly the talk is about the dark colors. Is there a reason for that? I only know what I have read here so would really like to know. I like the whites very much and would like to learn a little about the genetics for them.
Are they used in any way to breed other colors or are they only good for breeding more whites? What would happen if I breed a white with a blue? Also is there a difference in what way the colors are bred. For instance does it make a difference if I bred a white rooster to a blue female as opposed to a blue rooster to a white female?
I am just trying to understand before I waste a lot of time. :D

I would like to know more about the whites. Mostly the talk is about the dark colors. Is there a reason for that? I only know what I have read here so would really like to know. I like the whites very much and would like to learn a little about the genetics for them.
Are they used in any way to breed other colors or are they only good for breeding more whites? What would happen if I breed a white with a blue? Also is there a difference in what way the colors are bred. For instance does it make a difference if I bred a white rooster to a blue female as opposed to a blue rooster to a white female?

There's a good article on breeding whites on the Cochins International website.
big_smile.png

http://www.cochinsint.com/uploads/8/8/2/1/8821267/ci_-_white_cochins.pdf

white is a mutation that can cover up a number of other varieties, and is generally not a good option for crossing with any other color, for that reason...

the only colors i would cross, IMO would be blue/black/splash, since all are varieties of the same. (black lacks the blue gene, blue has 1 copy, splash has 2).

any other crosses, for the most part, if you ask 'what will i get if i cross x plus y' is "nothing predictable or usable in most breeding programs." basically you'll get mutt cochins. especially when either black or white are involved.

whites are one of the most shown and highest quality cochins available. it's the darker colors that are harder to find IMO, like partridge, red, the laced varieties, brown-red, birchen, penciled.

personally i don't care for solid white birds, but that's just me. they don't tend to stay white on my property since i have lots of red clay that stains EVERYTHING an overall beige.

So what I would want to do is build to the best type possible and not be concerned with any thing to do with colors except to keep the white pure white. Is that correct?
i did read somewhere here that the white should be breed back to black to strengthen type. Is this correct?

Back
Top Bottom