Cochin breeding, genetics, and showing

Pics
Thanks Andy! Next question.... last year I sold a lady some eggs and one chick came out with one yellow leg and one green ( mother was ameracauna, father was a mutt) how is this possible. It was super cute ! Just curious how this happens and how often?

Thanks Andy! Next question.... last year I sold a lady some eggs and one chick came out with one yellow leg and one green ( mother was ameracauna, father was a mutt) how is this possible. It was super cute ! Just curious how this happens and how often?

actually it's possible you had a gynandromorph... 2 ova get planted on a single egg yolk, both are fertilized and meld into a single chick. it can be bilateral (one side vs the other) or mosaic (scattered).

here's a pic of a male/female gynandromorph Dorking that belongs to a friend...
she exhibits the mosaic form, with primarily a hen's breast coloration with a few black spots forming here and there like the roo, as well as scattered roo hackle and saddle feathers. this is not a genetic mutation, but 2 birds merged into one. whether she has male or female reproductive parts remains to be seen, since she's just 4 months old. and it's rare, but POSSIBLE, that she could be self fertile, if she got both an ovary and a testicle, but usually one hormone will override the other.

Last edited:
Hi all,
I'm looking for fertilized eggs Cochin chocolate
If you have and pictures of the parents, please let me know.
I come from the Netherlands, eggs will be sent.
Please send me a message if you have them.
Thanks,
Marijn

Hi I have bantam cochin roos and standard cochin hens... does anyone know whether the eggs will produce? Should I allow the hens to set?

Hi I have bantam cochin roos and standard cochin hens... does anyone know whether the eggs will produce? Should I allow the hens to set?
If your guy can get the deed done or you AI them, their eggs will develop. You'll probably have a blending of the sizes, huge bantams or small large fowl.

Last edited:

Yes! I have a silky ( I know not cochin sorry) with my LF cochin and I hatched out a beautiful blue with gold leakage on the chest. I also noticed the other day while baking, that all my LF eggs have been fertilized by him. Just crack an egg, look for the bullseye, and enjoy a delicious egg.

Yes! I have a silky ( I know not cochin sorry) with my LF cochin and I hatched out a beautiful blue with gold leakage on the chest. I also noticed the other day while baking, that all my LF eggs have been fertilized by him. Just crack an egg, look for the bullseye, and enjoy a delicious egg.
Awesome thanks!! I bet they are beautiful!

I am wondering what the breed standard is for Cochins. I am very interested in showing though I am totally new to it. My Cochin is one of the most beautiful birds I've eve seen but I have never seen another one like her so I am not sure if her plumage is recognized. She is black but shimmers green and has gold stripes going down like a necklace from her throat area. Pictures attached. Thanks!

I am wondering what the breed standard is for Cochins. I am very interested in showing though I am totally new to it. My Cochin is one of the most beautiful birds I've eve seen but I have never seen another one like her so I am not sure if her plumage is recognized. She is black but shimmers green and has gold stripes going down like a necklace from her throat area. Pictures attached. Thanks!
Are they gold or silver? If they're gold she would be a Brown-Red, if silver she would be a Birchen.

Back
Top Bottom