Cochin Chick Feathering

I plan on keeping 6 if they are hens and rehoming the rest so yes essentially I am asking for sexing purposes but I also want to know how long I have to keep the 17 to get my 6 🫠😂

I've got buff, barred, and partridge cochin

I don't know on the large fowl for that, honestly. I can mostly tell on my bantams at about 3 weeks of age and am sure by 4 or 5 weeks of age, but large fowl tend to be slower to mature, so you might have to wait 6 weeks or more for the slower to mature males to pop up.

You should be able to tell by feather coloring in the Partridge a little earlier; females are laced and males have a black chest with reddish patches on the shoulders. Barred answered below, but Buff you'll probably have to wait until 6 weeks.

Can I sex the barred cochin like you do barred rocks based on coloring once fully feathered?

Yes, you should actually be able to tell by the feather coloring like with Barred Rocks. Males are lighter than females in a pure barred variety regardless of breed. The barring gene is a sexlinked gene, so males pure for the gene have two copies of it, but females can only have one at most. The gene acts as a partial dominant, making thinner white bars with one copy of the gene and thicker white bars with two copies. So, since the males have two copies in a pure barred variety, they are lighter than the females that can only have one copy of the gene at most.

I will patiently wait 🙇‍♀️. 😂
Exhibit A: fluff balls with wings 😂

But I will say I think the light barred by the feeder are males and the dark ones in front are females.......maybe

Attachments

• 20230615_084701.jpg
    20230615_084701.jpg
    694.5 KB · Views: 23
Exhibit A: fluff balls with wings 😂

But I will say I think the light barred by the feeder are males and the dark ones in front are females.......maybe

Hmm, actually it looks like the ones by the feeder are Blue Barred which is why they're lighter than the ones in front. 🤔 Same concept should work with them, darker females and lighter males relative to one another, but you can't really compare them to the regular Barred for that.

Where did you get these little guys? They're going to be beautiful! :love

Hmm, actually it looks like the ones by the feeder are Blue Barred which is why they're lighter than the ones in front. 🤔 Same concept should work with them, darker females and lighter males relative to one another, but you can't really compare them to the regular Barred for that.

Where did you get these little guys? They're going to be beautiful! :love
I didn't order blue cochin 😂 what a fun surprise. I got them from cackle hatchery and only ordered barred, buff, and Patridge. I have a blue cochin hen already and I will admit she did look like them as babies 🧐

I don't know on the large fowl for that, honestly. I can mostly tell on my bantams at about 3 weeks of age and am sure by 4 or 5 weeks of age, but large fowl tend to be slower to mature, so you might have to wait 6 weeks or more for the slower to mature males to pop up.

You should be able to tell by feather coloring in the Partridge a little earlier; females are laced and males have a black chest with reddish patches on the shoulders. Barred answered below, but Buff you'll probably have to wait until 6 weeks.

Yes, you should actually be able to tell by the feather coloring like with Barred Rocks. Males are lighter than females in a pure barred variety regardless of breed. The barring gene is a sexlinked gene, so males pure for the gene have two copies of it, but females can only have one at most. The gene acts as a partial dominant, making thinner white bars with one copy of the gene and thicker white bars with two copies. So, since the males have two copies in a pure barred variety, they are lighter than the females that can only have one copy of the gene at most.

With this in mind, shouldn't chick in cyan be a female and chick in green a male?
Screenshot_20230615_160025_Samsung Internet.jpg

I didn't order blue cochin 😂 what a fun surprise. I got them from cackle hatchery and only ordered barred, buff, and Patridge. I have a blue cochin hen already and I will admit she did look like them as babies 🧐

Oh wow, they don't even have Blue Barred listed in their catalog! That's... weird. 🤔

Tagging in @Rhodebar Lover as they're probably the best with IDing weird stuff like this from hatcheries!

With this in mind, shouldn't chick in cyan be a female and chick in green a male?View attachment 3542490

I don't see enough of a difference for me to confidently say, honestly. With my Barred Rock bantams, I wasn't confident until they were a little further feathered in.

Back
Top Bottom